Let’s talk 2506 Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow not as bad as some. Irate it with my 308 but less than and old 762/54r mosin
Yeah, I'm not a real big fella. Ever seen that guy that got stuck in the taffy puller on Willy Wonka? I'm filling out now that I'm older (or because of staying home through the 'rona just eating), but even a couple of years ago you could jerk me right through a keyhole and not touch the sides.
That round and me don't get along at all.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one but really don't like shooting it because it kicks hard enough to jar my kinfolks in Scotland.

Wow not as bad as some. Irate it with my 308 but less than and old 762/54r mosin

Keep in mind, the gun's weight, stock design and fit have a lot to do with felt/perceived recoil. I shoot a lot of big rifles ... .375 H&H, .375 Weatherby, and .458 Win Mag. Two of the worst 'kicking' rifles I have ever shot were a 6.5x55 and a .270 Winchester. The 6.5x55 was a 'sporterized' Swedish Mauser which was really light and didn't fit me at all. IIRC, the .270 was a Ruger M77, but it's been many years ago.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve killed A BUNCH of deer and pigs with quite few different calibers, and I’ve never had a single animal complain that I didn’t hit them with enough velocity or that the bullets was too light or too heavy. :anyone:
Well you must have the shot placement thingy, we keep hearing about, figured out.... :cool:

OOPs edit: swampratt mentioned that placement thingy already!

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind, the gun's weight, stock design and fit have a lot to do with felt/perceived recoil. I shoot a lot of big rifles ... .375 H&H, .375 Weatherby, and .458 Win Mag. Two of the worst 'kicking' rifles I have ever shot were a 6.5x55 and a .270 Winchester. The 6.5x55 was a 'sporterized' Swedish Mauser which was really light and didn't fit me at all. IIRC, the .270 was a Ruger M77, but it's been many years ago.
Ruger M77 stock design is horrible. The worst kicking rifle I’ve ever shot is a mid 80’s vintage Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 Win my parents gave me when I was in high school. I still have the gun but haven’t shot it in over 20 years and don’t care if I ever do again.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
400+ lb hog instant death with 1 55gr V-max every deer i shot with the 55gr died with 1 shot and no tracking needed.
Would not bother me a bit if I had a 25-06.
Only thing that would bother me is finding components to reload for it and I do not want anymore guns to reload for.

:)
The key to any caliber is shot placement and bullet selection.

The .223 55gr V-max by Hornady is explosive and acts like a hand grenade going off inside animals.
The 55gr SP Hornady is a non explosive bullet in my testing and buddy shot 2 deer with it in the same place on the deer
and they ran off over 500 yards.

I will never shoot that bullet at a critter again.
The 55 V-max none of the deer or hogs made it farther than 20 feet. And that was 2 deer and only 1 hog.
All the rest were bang flop.

I had to mention bullet selection.
I know you reload but would you recommend the factory loaded 55 gr. Vmax ammo?

Also, you have probably stated this elsewhere but I don't remember, where is your desired shot placement for deer?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger M77 stock design is horrible. The worst kicking rifle I’ve ever shot is a mid 80’s vintage Ruger M77 Ultralite 270 Win my parents gave me when I was in high school. I still have the gun but haven’t shot it in over 20 years and don’t care if I ever do again.

That could very well be what this was. I remember it was a gift to a son for high school graduation or birthday or Christmas or something like that. The Dad wanted us to sight it in before he gave it to his son. That "son" is now a man, probably in his 40's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom