Let’s talk 2506 Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shottyshooter90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive got an Xbolt in 25-06 and its only accurate on a cold bore. Ive tried several factory loadings and even hand loaded for it, just never been able to get tight groups with it once it has a few rounds down the barrel. Disappointing, because its a gorgeous rifle.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
25-06 will cover anything from cottontails to elk, some say even grizzly, with the right bullets. My go to are the 87gr spire point and 90gr BTHP For everything smaller than elk. 120gr partition will handle elk just fine if you do your part.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know you reload but would you recommend the factory loaded 55 gr. Vmax ammo?

Also, you have probably stated this elsewhere but I don't remember, where is your desired shot placement for deer?

I was sold a Savage Axis rifle that has a threaded barrel and it came with store ammo.
I did some testing on group sizes with it.
Tulammo, Remington and Hornady were in the mix.

Accuracy improved in all of them when I took the ammo apart and reseated the bullets.
Hornady ZMax 55gr was the worst grouping ammo in that gun.
I needed to seat the bullets longer which my gun really likes.

If you can make the factory V-max 55gr hit what you aim at then YES I recommend it.

Now shot placement.
I have shot a few deer as has my friend with that bullet .
Muzzle velocity is in the high 2600 to low 2700 fps area from the AR with 1:7 twist and 16" barrel Just under 3200 FPS from my Bolt 22" barrel rifle 1:9 twist.

Deer do not seem to care as performance is the same from both guns.
I have shot them in the neck and busted the spine and nervous system to bits.
I have shot them in the heart and those run 20 feet.
Buddy shot a horrible shot at 1 deer it went 20 feet and piled up.
Bullet never entered the body.
Stayed under the skin. The deer was jogging away from him.

The entire side of that deer from the back of the rib cage to the neck was a giant blood clot.
From the tenderloin to the belly all that under skin was full of blood.
Oddest shot I ever seen.

I hit one right behind the shoulder and it went through his fat gut sack Full of un-chewed acorns and corn and the shrapnel destroyed the heart, the bullet fragments on the ribs on the off side made a 1.5" diameter circle of fragments.
Hit and fell over and got up and stumbled almost 20 feet.

That bullet creates so much shock or trauma it is almost impossible to not kill what you hit.

That Hornady SP which is the 55gr but soft lead point and same flat base will not come apart and will make a perfect mushroom.
But the trauma is not there and very little shock.
Deer take off like they were not hit and disappear out of sight.
Same experience I have with my 30-30.

The pieces of bullet of the last deer I shot were the size of coarse ground black pepper from that 55 V-Max.

Pigs i hit behind the ear and one I tried in the heart. Shot behind the crease of the shoulder.
He fell so hard on the off side he broke his leg and tried to run away but that leg not working made him go in a circle.
He only made a 1/2 circle like a C and was dead less than 20 feet.

Like I have posted that V-Max is like a hand grenade going off.

Buddy shot 2 coyotes in the same day. AR 16" with V-max 55gr
One was 70 yards and wizzing in the field.
Bang flop.
Less than 15 minutes later one comes within 10 feet of the tree he is sitting in and squats to take a dump and he shoots it in the front shoulder.

The hide on the shoulder was all gone and that yote jumped forward since it was crouched down it launched well and landed on it's face.
Dead where it landed.

Hit a squirrel in the head and it looks like you shot a ketchup bottle. No head to be found.
Hit one in the center and split them in 2 pieces.
Seriously I had to get a long stick and fetch the back legs out of the tree.

Good lunch.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Never said that.
Screenshot_20211216-220628_Samsung Internet.jpg

So from never to a maybe. The 2506 is simply capable of sub moa. You won't find any .257 cal in PRC due to bullet selection and less than favorable BC I'm sure. That doesn't mean it's never capable of sub moa.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was a maybe first.
Then you said I said it wasn’t.
And lastly I said I never said it wasn’t.
What’s so hard about understanding that?
bc is A big part in why is said it will never be a super duper tack driver.
so other than you being butt hurt because I offended a cartridge you like, I think we are both understanding of the limitations of the 2506

Latest posts

Top Bottom