Let’s talk 2506 Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahunter3

Marksman
Reaction score
I shoot Berger bullets only in one of my rifles and I’ve found the VLD is more seating sensitive than other bullets. Depending on your chamber throat length you may be close to or exceed magazine length once you get it shooting good.

Basically you may need to seat the bullet out to where it kisses the lands to get it to shoot good. This may make your OAL longer than your magazine. But, there’s only one way to find out.

If you email Berger they will send you load data for that bullet from their reloading Manual
Thanks for the info!!

Flinchin83

Marksman
Reaction score
Ive got an Xbolt in 25-06 and its only accurate on a cold bore. Ive tried several factory loadings and even hand loaded for it, just never been able to get tight groups with it once it has a few rounds down the barrel. Disappointing, because its a gorgeous rifle.
I feel your pain. I have the same rifle and it took several different loads and bullets to find one it liked. 100 grain Nosler BT and IMR 4831 finally did it.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot Berger bullets only in one of my rifles and I’ve found the VLD is more seating sensitive than other bullets. Depending on your chamber throat length you may be close to or exceed magazine length once you get it shooting good.

Basically you may need to seat the bullet out to where it kisses the lands to get it to shoot good. This may make your OAL longer than your magazine. But, there’s only one way to find out.

If you email Berger they will send you load data for that bullet from their reloading Manual
I'm a flat out fan of Berger bullets. I suspect many would be if they sort their bullets by weight and measurement (measure base to ogive). They seem to me, to be more consistent than the majority of manufacturers.

Typically I find the sweet spot on my "jump" (distance from ogive to lands), between .002 and .005. I did have a 6br at one time that really like a long jump for some reason (. 010) , and a 308 that liked to run jammed or touching the lands.

I run a ladder test to check powder load, neck tension, and seating depth of loads.

I do not recommend a jammed load (touching the lands) on a hunting rifle. Few things worse than pulling the bolt back to unload and dumping the power in the magazine well and realizing there is a projectile stuck in the lands.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back it the 40's and 50's my grandfather built a number of custom 25-06's from surplus Mausers.
I know where one, maybe two are now. I even have his set of reloading dies. The 25-06 was a quite
popular back then.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys shooting the same Bergers I am? This is from Berger.
1640137548862.png

StitchJones

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 241550

View attachment 241550
Idk, what calibers and bullet types are you shooting?

There is another thing not mentioned in that seating depth discussion; what kind of barrel and what condition is the barrel in that is being used?

You're simply not going to find the lands on some factory barreled rifles. I've seen the bullet not even seated and still wouldn't reach the lands (actually seen this many times). Likewise, on competition rifles, you're chasing the lands as the throat erodes due to increased round count (this is amplified with the "barrel burner" cartridges) . So your load will change over the lifespan of the barrel (this can be compensated for with a barrel setback once, maybe twice depending on your barrel profile and gunsmith).

I know for a fact I cannot run that ladder test (in the pic you posted), with any of my rifles that have been built or barreled by the rifle builder I use. The guy would have a stoke seeing .130 off the lands.

I don't know why Mr. Stecker mentioned coal as that measurement isn't relative to the information he is sharing. You're not measuring the coal, you are measuring from the ogive to the lands. I load for quite a few cartridges and have no idea what the coal on them are except for two I load for the magazine length.

I do agree with him that a jammed load is a terrible idea for a field rifle for the same reason I posted.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot heavies in a 300wsm. 190s and 210s. I'm not discounting your results, it works for you. I'm showing that years of research have been put into them and I trust every word that comes out of Brian Litz's mouth. He has a better comprehension of ballistics and shooting than any 10 people I know put together. Berger has put a few suggestions (that's all they are) on their site and I find it good reference given the price of components and barrels when calculated over time. This in particular:
1640181054915.png

StitchJones

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot heavies in a 300wsm. 190s and 210s. I'm not discounting your results, it works for you. I'm showing that years of research have been put into them and I trust every word that comes out of Brian Litz's mouth. He has a better comprehension of ballistics and shooting than any 10 people I know put together. Berger has put a few suggestions (that's all they are) on their site and I find it good reference given the price of components and barrels when calculated over time. This in particular:
View attachment 241588
I'm trying to figure out where exactly you disagree with me? Your first post eluded to some of us may be doing something vastly different (possibly wrong) from yourself however you haven't posted about any of your first hand input on the topic. So I'm at a loss there.

Hitting back on your first post where you copy/pasted Mr. Stecker and your last post where you mentioned price of components. I'm not disagreeing with him however, speaking for myself, from my preference, i prefer three shot groups during load development (because there are so many other variables other than seating depth). When I find a combination that looks good, then I work it at five round groups.

. 300 wsm you say? I really dig a fast thirty! I noticed it had a push in prs style matches for a while (actually have a friend that uses one). What bullets are you using? I have a couple . 308s (ftr setups) that really like the 185 gn juggernauts. I shoot a lot of 210gn vdls (very similar bullet as the vld Mr. Litz is talking about) and 200gn hybrids out of my 300 winmag (was built for elr but went a different direction).

Latest posts

Top Bottom