Let’s talk 308 hunting rifles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m in the market for a nice 308 Winchester bolt action. I would be interested in hearing thoughts on what you guys like on the market, and what might fit my needs.

I’ll be using it for hunting, 4-500 yard shots or less. Mostly much less. I like shorter barrels. 16.5-20” seems to work nicely, as I don’t hunt out of stands or blinds, and I’m not shooting long range. I would like it keep it at or below 7lbs bare unloaded rifle. I love the idea of building my own custom setup off a bighorn origin action, but I feel that’s going to be outside of my budget. My budget is <$2000.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have one personally but helped a buddy set up and sight in his Tikka a few years ago, and it was a really nice and accurate rifle. His was the stainless T3 Lite.

I know you said bolt gun, but I’m a big fan of Thompson Encores. My 308 is an old TC custom shop barrel, but if I were to buy another, it would be a Match Grade Machine custom barrel.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
<2K for the whole thing? I've been pretty happy with Ruger and Savage rifles so far as long as they have quality glass. That should be the bulk of your purchase anyway. I'd be tempted to buy a Ruger or Savage rifle, have the barrel cut to length and put something from Nightforce's or Trijicon's line up on it.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 16.5 - 20" .308 is an excellent option for hunting to moderate ranges. You might have a bit more trouble getting decent terminal performance out to 400-500 yards, but I understand that thise shots would be the rare exception and not the norm.

It might be hard to do your weight limit with an Origin action. I'm in the process of having a 7mm RM put together on an Origin for my brother, and while the action is very nice for the money, it isn't the lightest option out there.

With a $2K budget though, there are some pretty good factory options. Seekins Havak PH2, Bergara Premier Highlander (barrels might be a couple inches longer), Sako 85 Finnlight, Tikka etc...

My "go-to" hunting rifle for several seasons was a first generation FN SPR in .308. It is way too long and heavy for your criteria, but man does it hammer deer with the 165gr Nosler BT, and is stupid accurate with that load.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My go to hunting rifle is the Ruger Gunsite 308 Scout. Its short. Put a silencer on it and WOW. Most of my hunting is under 100yds. The scout scope is almost like using a red dot. Pull it up into position and with both eyes open .....boom. I have a Ching Sling on it for extra stability when free hand.,

Attachments

• DSCN3956.JPG
    DSCN3956.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom