Let’s talk 308 hunting rifles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t have one personally but helped a buddy set up and sight in his Tikka a few years ago, and it was a really nice and accurate rifle. His was the stainless T3 Lite.

I know you said bolt gun, but I’m a big fan of Thompson Encores. My 308 is an old TC custom shop barrel, but if I were to buy another, it would be a Match Grade Machine custom barrel.

The Win model 70 classic, and the tikka t3..

That Tikka lite model whatever it’s called. I heard that thing is amazing. I’ve thought about getting one just because they’re so light. Picked one up at the LGS and had to hand it back before I walked out with it because I was on the search for an RPR at the time
The T3x hunter or lite is high on my list. I really like the features, and the availability of aftermarket is appealing, although I doubt I’ll have much need to modify it.
Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine
Such a pretty rifle, I wouldn’t mind one of the sako offerings, but not only are they hard to find, but they’re over my budget.
<2K for the whole thing? I've been pretty happy with Ruger and Savage rifles so far as long as they have quality glass. That should be the bulk of your purchase anyway. I'd be tempted to buy a Ruger or Savage rifle, have the barrel cut to length and put something from Nightforce's or Trijicon's line up on it.
Mostly just $2k for the rifle, but if I could get a rifle and optic for the price, even better. I do like the nicer optics, but midrange leupold optics work pretty well for me, I have a hard time telling enough of a difference from higher end stuff to justify doubling or tripling the cost for a little extra brightness.
Buy yourself a Winchester model 70 Super Grade or Classic in whatever caliber you prefer and fogedaboudit for the rest of your life. Then give it to your kid when your old and let him enjoy a lifetime too.

Here is mine I bought 30yrs ago in 1992 as soon as they came they came back out with it. It is my 3rd one I have owned, the other two were pre64.

30yrs later it still shoots one ragged hole. This was last year 10shoot group at a 100yrds. With the original sporter contour hunting barrel.
That super grade maple m70 has been calling my name for a long time… that’s for sure. So pretty. It would be hard scratch it though.
C75067A1-369C-4E53-94B9-905840912046.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 16.5 - 20" .308 is an excellent option for hunting to moderate ranges. You might have a bit more trouble getting decent terminal performance out to 400-500 yards, but I understand that thise shots would be the rare exception and not the norm.

It might be hard to do your weight limit with an Origin action. I'm in the process of having a 7mm RM put together on an Origin for my brother, and while the action is very nice for the money, it isn't the lightest option out there.

With a $2K budget though, there are some pretty good factory options. Seekins Havak PH2, Bergara Premier Highlander (barrels might be a couple inches longer), Sako 85 Finnlight, Tikka etc...

My "go-to" hunting rifle for several seasons was a first generation FN SPR in .308. It is way too long and heavy for your criteria, but man does it hammer deer with the 165gr Nosler BT, and is stupid accurate with that load.
I looked at that seekins, and man, it seems ideal. With the exception of the barrel length. And with it being fluted, I can’t really cut it down, which sucks.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That Tikka lite model whatever it’s called. I heard that thing is amazing. I’ve thought about getting one just because they’re so light. Picked one up at the LGS and had to hand it back before I walked out with it because I was on the search for an RPR at the time
Did you ever get a RPR? I started looking those a while back and then got distracted.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with that budget easy a bergara of your favorite variety, mine is an HMR, and a nice vortex viper or optic of your choosing. for 2k, you can put together a hell of a nice kit. for that money I wouldn't do a remy,. Tika T3 is my 2nd choice. and same, good glass.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
with that budget easy a bergara of your favorite variety, mine is an HMR, and a nice vortex viper or optic of your choosing. for 2k, you can put together a hell of a nice kit. for that money I wouldn't do a remy,. Tika T3 is my 2nd choice. and same, good glass.
Bergara did make a short barreled rifle. 18 inches IIRC. Bare rifle is just over seven pounds though. If that could be overlooked, it's only around a grand if you can find one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom