Let’s talk 308 hunting rifles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just love my Tikka T3x Superlite (Sportsmans Warehouse model) in 6.5 Manbun :-). Shooting it produced more perceived recoil than my Remington 700 .300 WinMag (5R Milspec) until I slapped a model-specific Limbsaver on it. Sportsmans sells this Tikka in .308 also. The bolt action is so much smoother than all my other rifles.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess you and I are in the minority, because nearly everyone I know wants a threaded barrel on their rifles to run suppressors. I have no desire to have a counterweight hanging off the end of my barrel just so I don’t have to wear hearing protection. :rolleyes2

The shift away from groupthink on suppressors is starting to happen, slowly but surely. Not that they don't have their benefits, because they certainly do. However, if I have to pay ~$800, register myself and pay the king another $200, add 8" and 1lb to my already heavy hunting rifles, and still have to wear hearing protection...it just isn't woth it *to me* ...YMMV to those I just offended that are getting ready to put me on blast.

My first experience with one was with my buddy Carpe Sus when he came up. When he uncorked his Grendel at something while I was watching I had a real "WTF, I'm glad I had my ears on" moment. On another outing, our mutual friend HuntTXHogs was up with me and shot one by himself (suppressed). Within 60 seconds of his shot, I got a text from the owner of the next property over asking if I got anything. I Googled the distance later...it was 1.25+ miles away.

Guys who think suppressors negate the need for hearing protection yell "what?" a lot to each other.

Again, suppressors have real benefits, and in a social setting they are still a hell of a lot more friendly than a three chamber brake. I also see the potential benefit in certain HD setups.

18 months ago, you would have been set on fire for suggesting that a barrel not be threaded for suppressor use from the factory...now it's probably a 70/30 split on those that hate/agree with you. As the time continues to drag for a certain entity to process forms, and improvements in sound amplifying/electronic ear pro continue I bet that number grows a little more in your favor.

I'm a fan of seamless threading myself.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suppressor talk is a whole different topic. It's not about not hearing protection, it's about being courteous to everyone else so they don't have to listen to your reports. Keeps good neighbors that way when you aren't annoying them blasting away at the home range all day.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ Hence the text 1.25 miles away, 60 seconds after the shot (my previous post).

I hate how this turns into "you must be bashing it because you're not 100% for it". No. They definitely a purpose, and only a douche would take a braked SBR on a social hunt where friends are standing and shooting 5' to your left and right.

For those of us who don't have those circumstances though, the "benefits" don't always outweigh the costs.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to bass pro today, handled a few tikkas. Just like the last time I handled the 3, I’m a fan of the 3x line. I think that’s what I’m gonna end up getting. I think the compact will work out perfectly for me. 20” barrel, as light as the superlite models. Great price, which will allow me to get a new stock and optics for under my budget. I’m considering going with AG composites for the stock, need to call them and see what my options are and what DBM would work though. Otherwise, I may go with the superlite and call it a day.

***unless I can get @retrieverman to sell me his BBF97 for $2k. I think there’s still hope.

Last edited:

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FF77EF1B-4D97-4DC5-8FD9-6BEB26FEA7E5.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s right at the top of my budget, I found one of these with an 18” Carbor fiber barrel for $1999. I’ve heard spotty remarks about Christensen arms customer service. Someone talk me out of it? It checks every one of my boxes, I wouldn’t need/want to do anything to it other than slap an optic on it.

https://christensenarms.com/ba-tactical/
My other option right now is a Tikka T3x compact lite, which is considerably cheaper. But, I am not a huge fan of the stock. Adding a stock, DBM, and the rail will add a good amount of money to the initial purchase.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom