Let’s talk about tripods and such.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I keep putting it off, but I’ve decided to finally bite the bullet on a tripod shooting rest for Hunting and general shooting.

I’m a sucker for supporting a fellow Marine, and considering the guy who made these was in roughly the same time I was, it really makes it a bit more personal. I’m considering getting the Mod7 Hog saddle paired with the Pig 0311-G field tripod made by shadow tech. Links below.

thoughts? It seems like overkill to an extent, but at the same time, I have no doubts that the setup will last me a lifetime. I would rather buy once, cry once.

what do you guys use? Any brand or gear suggestions?

https://stores.hogsaddle.com/hog-saddle-mod-7/https://allpredatorcalls.com/pig031...d-od-green-magnesium-body-with-aluminum-legs/

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pig tripod and the slik 700dx are basically the same tripod. The pig was designed from it. Although my few years hunting with an aluminum tripod have me leaning towards carbon fiber now. They're noisy if you bang it on something. That's usually when you're moving it to set up on an animal. But the pig will do what you want.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pig tripod and the slik 700dx are basically the same tripod. The pig was designed from it. Although my few years hunting with an aluminum tripod have me leaning towards carbon fiber now. They're noisy if you bang it on something. That's usually when you're moving it to set up on an animal. But the pig will do what you want.
I bought a bog pod death grip carbon fiber. Its last on my list to use when taking hog hunters out. I have 2 slik 700 and reaper grips that are #1 and #2 on the list. So far everyone likes the slik700/reaper best until they decide to buy. Then it runs 50/50 on what they will get when its out of their pocket.

I can tell ya the death grip carbon fiber isn't any lighter than my other set ups. It doesn't have a center post so you have to mount the gun a little ways out on the handguard to allow clearance for 30 rd mag when pivoting. The center post on the slik700 also gives a smooth section to rest on your shoulder when stalking in on hogs.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a bog pod death grip carbon fiber. Its last on my list to use when taking hog hunters out. I have 2 slik 700 and reaper grips that are #1 and #2 on the list. So far everyone likes the slik700/reaper best until they decide to buy. Then it runs 50/50 on what they will get when its out of their pocket.

I can tell ya the death grip carbon fiber isn't any lighter than my other set ups. It doesn't have a center post so you have to mount the gun a little ways out on the handguard to allow clearance for 30 rd mag when pivoting. The center post on the slik700 also gives a smooth section to rest on your shoulder when stalking in on hogs.
Yeah, I can appreciate that. I was talking two vets or something along that line. I don't mind paying 5-600 as long as it what's I'm going to need for the rest of my days. This 100-200 dollar stuff here and there adds up over the years.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got that same setup, it works just fine. Depending on what gun you're running, having a tripod with an arca mount is exponentially better.

That tripod works just fine, but I do like my 2 Vets no name sooo much more but it costs quite a bit more and you'll have to buy a mount.

If you want to check out either setup, let me know.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run that tripod with the pig saddle and have taken shots out to 600 with ease. Tripods are pretty amazing when you learn how to shoot with them, especially accompanied with their sling. The sling helps with getting a more solid foundation and being able to throttle elevation.

I got my stuff from Rausch Precision. Paul Butler is also a marine scout sniper who instructed SEAL’s and MARSOC sniper course and later created the sky hawg for aerial sniper shooting. A hell of a guy and instructor also and promotes Hog Saddle heavily and is a dealer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom