Let’s talk Tripods...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright gents and ladies,
I’d like some help, an education if you will. I know we have a few “shooters” of high quality pictures on here. We recently got a new Nikon and we are interested in a lightweight tripod for shooting pics. However, I also want to be able to convert it to shoot a rifle off it. Maybe some sort of adapter.
What am I looking for with this?
Is there something lightweight, compact good for both?
What kind of budget might I be looking to spend? I’m thinking around $100, but I could be way off.

Any thoughts/helps/hints would be appreciated.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tl;dr You aren't going to get anywhere close for $100. You can find a serviceable DSLR tripod for near $100 but you aren't going to be shooting off of it.

A DSLR-specific tripod won't have the backbone to support a rifle and a set of legs that will support a rifle, will be a big PITA to pack for a camera.

For a decent shooting tripod, expect to spend $200+ on legs and an ARCA mount if you want to go with made in China. Expect to spend near a grand for something like a RRS set up or similar with beefy legs and ARCA mount. If you want a hog saddle style cradle, add another few hundred.

You might be able to put together something serviceable with a set of SLIK700DX legs and a Demon DB-46 head. The head should support the rifle OK but the legs have a capacity that's pushing close to what a PRS-style rifle would weigh. You would then also need an ARCA rail for your rifle and a plate for your camera.

If you're looking to run something like a hog saddle, you'd need to reassess your budget entirely.

Plene Paratus

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20151220160246.JPG
    20151220160246.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 118

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter