1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Let’s talk Tripods...

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by GlockPride, Dec 6, 2018 at 6:12 PM.

1. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Alright gents and ladies,
    I’d like some help, an education if you will. I know we have a few “shooters” of high quality pictures on here. We recently got a new Nikon and we are interested in a lightweight tripod for shooting pics. However, I also want to be able to convert it to shoot a rifle off it. Maybe some sort of adapter.
    What am I looking for with this?
    Is there something lightweight, compact good for both?
    What kind of budget might I be looking to spend? I’m thinking around $100, but I could be way off.

Any thoughts/helps/hints would be appreciated.

2. k4ylr

k4ylr Marksman

tl;dr You aren't going to get anywhere close for $100. You can find a serviceable DSLR tripod for near $100 but you aren't going to be shooting off of it.

A DSLR-specific tripod won't have the backbone to support a rifle and a set of legs that will support a rifle, will be a big PITA to pack for a camera.

For a decent shooting tripod, expect to spend $200+ on legs and an ARCA mount if you want to go with made in China. Expect to spend near a grand for something like a RRS set up or similar with beefy legs and ARCA mount. If you want a hog saddle style cradle, add another few hundred.

You might be able to put together something serviceable with a set of SLIK700DX legs and a Demon DB-46 head. The head should support the rifle OK but the legs have a capacity that's pushing close to what a PRS-style rifle would weigh. You would then also need an ARCA rail for your rifle and a plate for your camera.

If you're looking to run something like a hog saddle, you'd need to reassess your budget entirely.

GlockPride likes this.
  3. Gunbuffer

Gunbuffer Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yes? What would you like to know?

GlockPride likes this.
  4. Plene Paratus

Plene Paratus Marksman

Attached Files:

dennishoddy likes this.
  5. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Brands, quality, what to make sure and get and what to watch out for. Just a friendly heads up and help a fellow board member shoot better pics and shoot better.

6. GlockPride

GlockPride Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That’s great and basically what I’m looking for at this time. That’s doable in the budget. 1k ain’t in the cards, but $150-200 would be an option.

Plene Paratus likes this.