Let's see them doggies!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please tell me what kind of dog you have there. BEAUTIFUL animal
He is a Deutsch Drahthaar. Literally translated, German Wirehair Pronounced "Drot-har". But After they were imported into the states back in the 30s or 40s Americans wanted to well, Americanize them. So there was a split between people with AKC recognized German Wirehair Pointers, and the German recognized Drahthaar. With AKC you can make more puppies if you have paperwork. With the German system, every dog has to have a recognized bloodline, be proven in hunting tests, checked for coat and confirmation, and physically examined/xrayed and approved by the organization before they can be bred. I think there's another test in there that is done, but I don't remember. And then, and only then, the breed wardens and breeders closely oversee and conduct all the breeding. Its tedious, but produces exceptional dogs in the field and at home. He's only 6 months old, but is looking like he'll be an absolute machine. He still loves to cuddle at home too. He's bred to do it all, point, retrieve on land and water, hunt large game, and track on land and water. He loves the water as much as our golden does. I cant find any pictures of his mom and dad, so here's a female from the same kennel he's from, and a male from the same kennel his dad is from. His coat should be pretty close consistency and length wise to the male in the last picture.
avar.jpg

avap.jpg
vft.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He is a Deutsch Drahthaar.
He is a Deutsch Drahthaar.

Years ago, I had a Kurzhaar also from a German bloodline. Fantastic hunting animal from the get-go; sounded very much like your Drahthaar in temperament and love of the water. Lived a long time, too.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago, I had a Kurzhaar also from a German bloodline. Fantastic hunting animal from the get-go; sounded very much like your Drahthaar in temperament and love of the water. Lived a long time, too.
That was a big thing that got me into German dogs, I dated a girl who's dad had some pretty awesome GSP's, and they were great all around dogs. My vet now, who takes care of Clyde, has two GSP's. Her adult just knocked it out of the park on a NAVDA test and is going to the invitational I think. I love watching that dog work.

Before I came across Drahthaars I was considering A Kurzhaar, a GSP, a Poodle, and a Wirehair pointing griffon. Then I realized how much work a Griffon would be in terms of hair, and we already have a golden. That and every single griffon breeder I spoke with had garbage ethics and was just churning out substandard bred puppies for money. But the beard fascination stuck, so here we are.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does he shed much? Seems to have it all. ANY down sides. Wow what a beautiful animal. Also so a German wire haired terrier????
He doesn't shed much, and there isn't much coat maintenance, he doesn't need regular baths. He's actually never had a bath. Downsides? yeah, there's a few, lol. its a constant battle to keep him from being a dick towards dogs outside of the ones he sees regularly, he shows all the signs of being a serious hunting dog, so no cats or small dogs without close supervision. He's a bit stubborn and difficult to deal with occasionally, lots of attitude. I'm pretty sure he's part velociraptor. If I am not in the house, he is kenneled. If left on his own for anything more than 30 minutes, he will find a way to entertain himself. He's stopped eating socks, but now he finds any clothes or shoes left out and drags them around the house.

I dont understand what youre asking about a german wire hair terrier?

Latest posts

Top Bottom