Let's see your hunting dogs!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spam him everywhere, and I’ll spam him here too. Here’s Clyde, my 7 month old Deutsch Drahthaar.
522800AE-E5B5-48A0-A4D4-68357D9E6FD8.jpeg

The week I got him, he was so tiny. Smallest boy in the litter.
D45E1437-97BF-4778-88EF-E0086A3C96C3.jpeg

Best friends. That’s my wife’s golden. He would have made a hell of a hunting dog, he has a crazy strong retrieving drive and bonds with me so well. He’s recently been certified as a therapy dog to work in my wife’s mental health practice.
711D1BC7-D062-4C85-A8C5-7152F96D4758.jpeg
040F5BB4-3819-4584-A6B7-988AFA9519E8.jpeg

Out chasing quail. He chased a covey around that field for an hour and a half.
5638EB30-A99B-4A72-ADDC-8B20D1E27A7E.jpeg

Later that day we went out in the snow and tracked down some cripples left by other hunters.
D0B37E28-82DA-4212-B1F1-A98DC3E55F23.jpeg

And on the way back to the truck we found a squirrel, tracked it, found the tree, and when I shot it, he retrieved it, almost to hand. His very first. He has a bad habit of dropping things a foot in front of me for some reason. Need to work on that.

He’s a turd now, and definitely teaching me patience, but one day he’ll be a real stellar dog, if I do my part. He’s my first hunting dog I have actually hunted with. I did own a blue tick coonhound a long time ago, but had to get rid of him before I could hunt him. He was just so loud, I was gonna lose my place to live. Such a cool dog though. If I didn’t own/want/need a versatile hunting dog, I would probably get another blue tick.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spam him everywhere, and I’ll spam him here too. Here’s Clyde, my 7 month old Deutsch Drahthaar. View attachment 322111
The week I got him, he was so tiny. Smallest boy in the litter. View attachment 322107
Best friends. That’s my wife’s golden. He would have made a hell of a hunting dog, he has a crazy strong retrieving drive and bonds with me so well. He’s recently been certified as a therapy dog to work in my wife’s mental health practice. View attachment 322108View attachment 322109
Out chasing quail. He chased a covey around that field for an hour and a half. View attachment 322110
Later that day we went out in the snow and tracked down some cripples left by other hunters. View attachment 322112
And on the way back to the truck we found a squirrel, tracked it, found the tree, and when I shot it, he retrieved it, almost to hand. His very first. He has a bad habit of dropping things a foot in front of me for some reason. Need to work on that.

He’s a turd now, and definitely teaching me patience, but one day he’ll be a real stellar dog, if I do my part. He’s my first hunting dog I have actually hunted with. I did own a blue tick coonhound a long time ago, but had to get rid of him before I could hunt him. He was just so loud, I was gonna lose my place to live. Such a cool dog though. If I didn’t own/want/need a versatile hunting dog, I would probably get another blue tick.
I've wanted one of those for so long but haven't ever been able to afford one. I've always wanted to cross one over a hound female to see what they'd be like, I suspect some hard hunting gritty dogs

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've wanted one of those for so long but haven't ever been able to afford one. I've always wanted to cross one over a hound female to see what they'd be like, I suspect some hard hunting gritty dogs
They’re already pretty hard hunting gritty dogs, no crossing needed. Clyde killed his first rabbit at 4 months old, and will go all day long. He’s still very much a puppy, and when we were out looking for cripples, he swam across the width of that pond 2 times in the snow following scent trails. I ran across a guy with one who had it go after a big boar raccoon, it hit the raccoon so hard that it snapped the raccoons leg. I’ve heard stories of drahthaars running off and bringing back porcupines and baby feral pigs back to the handler.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They’re already pretty hard hunting gritty dogs, no crossing needed. Clyde killed his first rabbit at 4 months old, and will go all day long. He’s still very much a puppy, and when we were out looking for cripples, he swam across the width of that pond 2 times in the snow following scent trails. I ran across a guy with one who had it go after a big boar raccoon, it hit the raccoon so hard that it snapped the raccoons leg. I’ve heard stories of drahthaars running off and bringing back porcupines and baby feral pigs back to the handler.
No my thought was it it would improve the hound side of the cross which I can access much easier so basically I would keep breeding back and getting rid of the hound blood since hounds are cheap plus I always like to experiment mixing dogs lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom