Let's See Your IDPA Set-Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I want to start competing in IDPA. My stock Glock 17 would probably be our first competition gun.

What stock gun and gear do you OSA IDPAers like to run? What holster, sights and cover garmet do you prefer? Are there any other gun mods you recommend?

I'm contemplating sending my G17 to Accurate Iron to get a competition trigger job, full stippling, have the trigger guard undercut, getting rid of the finger ridges and having the mag well cut. I also want to dump the crappy Glock stock sights at some point for something brighter and better.

What say you?

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like a plain black steel rear sight, fiber optic front. Holster by Bladetech or Comptac. Mag pouches by Comptac. Belt and vest by 5.11. You don't need a lot of gun mods, just a good trigger and sights.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The frame work will put you in ESP. With grip tape you can shoot in ESP or SSP.

I run a Glock 17, stock 3.5# connector, extended slide stop & mag release. I had Mike at AI do an internal magwell blend that's still SSP legal. I use TruGrip tape, Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights and a Bar-Sto drop in barrel. I use Comp-Tac paddle holster and mag pouches and the Woolrich lightweight vest.

This combo was good for 11th overall out of 368 shooters at the IDPA Nationals a couple of years ago.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
But not just any shooter was behind it, JB!

Id do just what JB did; just get a 3.5# connector sights and grip tape and you will be set in the equip. dept.
I dont do glock triggers anymore; theres definitely a market out there for em, but not a need.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your Glock 17 will do fine in SSP.

• A 3.5# connector, fitted so that all safeties still work, is desirable for a competition gun.
  • A "butt plug", in the area behind the magazine well, assists in quick reloads.
  • An extended slide stop will get you into "the gun locked open prematurely" troubles until you master the proper grip for your Glock. Afterwards its an aid.
  • An extended mag catch helps many. Same part as the standard catch as used in large frame Glocks.
  • Grip tape, in IDPA legal locations, is a definite plus.
  • A fiber optic front sight (Dawson is good) helps, but you have to learn how to properly use it. A higher profile rear sight helps. I prefer all black and have used the Dawson adjustable. Any adjustable sight is more fragile than a fixed sight. Over the years, I've broken adjustable sights made by Wilson Combat, Bo-Mar, S&W and Elliason, to name a few. My Dawson adjustable rear now has some slop in the adjustments, but hasn't broken yet. I never have broken a fixed sight.
  • Your factory barrel will do for a while, unless you decide you want to shoot cast lead bullets (moly coated or not). If you do, you will probably want a conventional cut rifling barrel. Lone Wolf works fine for a basic barrel. Bar-Sto is a tad better for a good bit more cost.
  • For vest and pants, my preference is to Woolrich and their Elite line.
  • You do not mention belt, which is a critical part of your gear. A 5.11 tactical belt (heavy metal buckle) will last years. Wilderness Products 5-stitch Instructor Belt is liked by many. The belt needs to be the same size as your belt gear (holster, pouches), 1.5" is common. Some of us prefer 1.75".

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the mods you want would be fine for USPSA Production, but will throw you into ESP in IDPA if your club is strict, and would for sure do so in a sanctioned match...

kamesinnan2002

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
cz 75 from CZ Custom with red comp tac gear
cz.jpg

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot maybe 10-12 IDPA club matches at either USSA or Oil Capital. I have used three different stock guns. A XD .40 4in barrel, a stock glock 17, and a glock 22 with standard glock night sights. For the first two guns I used a black hawk serpa holster. For the glock 22 I used a safariland ALS paddle holster. With all three guns I used a fobus dual mag pouch. I used a riggers belt I have had for over 10yrs for a belt. For a cover garment during the cold/cool moths I use a jacket. During the warm/hot months I use a loose fitting unbuttoned hawiian shirt. In IDPA you can be very competitive in your division with very little money invested. I recently spent about $190 on a comptac holster and 2 different magazine pouches. There are plenty of things to spend money on with IDPA, however you can get started for a very reasonable rate.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There have been several accidents,in other states, both on and off the range, from guns drawn from (or jammed in) SERPA holsters. Some clubs have banned them, but not locally. Personally I deliberately do not own a SERPA, due to my concern, reflecting others anecdotal evidence, about their intrinsic safety. The ALS thumb release from Safariland is much more suitable, IMO. I own a ALS rig in the duty rig persuasion.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which mods will disqualify my gun from stock? All the grip work or just some of it? I really want to get rid of the grooves and undercut the trigger guard. Is grip tape like Talon legal?

Latest posts

Top Bottom