Lets talk about firearms in National Parks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be in grizzly country sometime this year.
Some will be in the back country fly fishing. Sometimes by myself because I prefer to go further in than most for pristine waters.
This is what I gleaned from the National Park Service.

Firearms in National Parks
Possession of Firearms in National Park Units
In areas administered by the National Park Service, an individual can possess a firearm if that individual is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm and if the possession of the firearm complies with the laws of the state where the park area is located. 54 U.S.C. 104906.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable Federal, state and local firearms laws and regulations, including laws authorizing or prohibiting concealed carry, before entering a national park. Some parks are located in more than one state or locality which means that the applicable laws may change depending upon where you are located within a park area.

If a park is located in a jurisdiction where the applicable state and local laws grant reciprocity to non-resident firearm owners, then consistent with the applicable law, the park will equally recognize the reciprocity. For information on state and local laws, please contact the state and locality where the park is located.
Possession of Firearms in Federal Facilities
Unless expressly authorized, Federal law prohibits the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon in NPS facilities. These buildings include, but are not limited to, government offices, visitor centers, ranger stations, fee collection buildings, and maintenance facilities. 18 U.S.C. 930.
Use of Firearms
Unless authorized, the use or discharge of a firearm within a park area is prohibited. 36 CFR 2.4(b) and 13.30(c). In parks where hunting is specifically mandated or authorized by federal statute, firearms may be used to hunt in accordance with NPS regulations and state laws. 36 CFR 2.2.

Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.
More Information
The information provided on this page provides a general overview of the rules about firearms across the National Park System. If you have questions about the firearm rules in a particular park, please contact that park for more information prior to visiting.

So, I'm allowed to carry an anchor, (in red)but not use it in self defense from a griz charge?
I should allow myself to be mauled and possibly killed to stay within the law as a good citizen?
I'm sure I'd feel hunky dory about that while the face is being separated from the skull knowing that the law was being followed as written?
What the hell?

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would best be served with bear spray or shooting anyone with you in the leg over taking on a charging grizzly with a handgun. A 243 at 100 yards has more force than my 44 mag revolvers at the muzzle. I don’t think any of us would think to. Hunt grizzlies with a .243.

My relatives in Alaska carried bear spray or shotguns. First round was buckshot, the rest slugs. First shot to the face, the rest to the body as needed.

All that being said, those park rules seem stupid.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried my 10mm while in backcountry but both me and wife had spray as well. We saw beat sign kept food in bear can away from our camp ect

We going to be doing it again but traveling through California so will be take my 41 mag because of the communist territory rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Visitors should not consider firearms as protection from wildlife.

The operative word is should. It is discretionary. If they prohibited firearms as protection against animals the word would be shall, and the sentence would read: Visitors shall not use firearms as protection from wildlife.

The guidance is to carry bear spray. Read and follow the warning signs about how to conduct yourself in bear country and you will be just fine.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The way I read the part in red is just don't consider your firearm a magic talisman. I don't see anything out of line with the regs. but you better be prepared to explain if you have to shoot.

Agreed, and that has been my understanding for several years. Typically rangers dislike people carrying firearms in bear country because idiots then think they’re invincible and throw caution to the wind. In Colorado I had it explained to me that if I were to shoot a bear, I better have a good explanation as to why I did it and what I did to avoid shooting it beforehand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom