Lets talk about firearms in National Parks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late to the party but on topic, IIRC there was a guy who successfully stopped a close range grizzly attack with a 9mm pistol stoked with Buffalo Bore ammo. I saw some video and the bear came out of the long grass right on top of the fisherman like a lion in Africa. I was shocked at how quickly he got the gun up and on target, and the bear was killed IIRC?

Anyway, even the Park Service and USF&WS have to occasionally put down bears that have become predatory towards humans. Sure they prefer to trap them and relocate away from human activity if possible, but it doesn't always work out that way. It would suck to be the guy making first direct contact with such a bear and not have an effective means of defense. Keep in mind repellants such as bear spray are a LOT less likely to stop a big one in a full charge. I'd consider that more effective on a bear that's chuffing and doing false charges, or just a bit too curious.

One thing is for sure, those federal agencies take "self-defense" shootings on bear VERY seriously. They will investigate those just like a detective would investigate a human homicide. So I think the best approach is the same one you'd use with a human. Only shoot when in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm and IF possible, deescalate instead. Sometimes that just isn't feasible though, so I'd never go unstrapped in bear country, just in case.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.fieldandstream.com/outdoors/hiker-killed-grizzly-bear-attack-yellowstone-park/

“Backcountry guide Carl Mock, 40, of West Yellowstone, Montana, died Saturday morning after being attacked by a grizzly bear while hiking in the Baker’s Hole area of Yellowstone National Park.”
All he had was bear spray. The protective cover over the trigger had been released.
I'll use a firearm thank you bear spray manufacturers.
I do think the spray option is a good alternative for those that don't know how to use firearms or have limited experience with them and do not understand animal anatomy and where to shoot.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All he had was bear spray. The protective cover over the trigger had been released.
I'll use a firearm thank you bear spray manufacturers.
I do think the spray option is a good alternative for those that don't know how to use firearms or have limited experience with them and do not understand animal anatomy and where to shoot.
While it IS an alternative, I wouldn't necessarily call it a good one.

With my luck, I'd get a bear that likes spicy foods...
:drunk2:

bambihunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my luck, I'd get a bear that likes spicy foods...
:drunk2:

Mine too. Give 'em a warning spray when they get too close. They'll be like "damn that was good, I wonder if the whole thing tastes like that". LOL

I've always carried my Glock 20 10mm auto while in bear country. While not the biggest gun out there, with 15+1 capacity of a round equal or better (depending on load) ballistically than a .357 mag, I certainly didn't feel under gunned. I suck at wheel guns, and don't really like them anyway so it was that, or a 4.5+ pound Desert Eagle .44 mag on my hip with 7+1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom