Let's talk tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the Michelin LTX E on my 2014 F150...best road/tow/all-around out there. You'll be very happy with this tire.
If you want an AT.....I've always loved the BFG KO. Great looking tire...performs just as good.
If you want to stay All-American...you're looking at Goodyear, Cooper, Mickey Thompson, MasterCraft.
Personally....my next set will be the Cooper AT3.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toyo's always served me well on the pickups of the past. My Dad is running Pirelli Scorpions on his 2014 F150 --- says they are the smoothest tire he's ever had on a pickup.

Best of luck on your decision!

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've ran through several sets of Bridgestone Dueler AT IIs on my Ram 3500 diesel. They were a good enough AT tire that spent most of their lives on pavement and had low road noise. But I switched trucks to a 2500 diesel and this time after the stock (terrible) tires were 50% worn, I couldn't wait any longer. I went with a Toyo Open Country that is 3 peaks snow rated. I've got maybe 10k on them and they are smooth and quiet at 85+. I'm really liking the Toyo's. I can't tell the difference in ride from the stock tires and these are much more aggressive.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run Michelin 10 ply AT's pulling an unloaded 14,500 fifth wheel RV all over the country that weighs in at over 15,000 loaded at 70mph highway speeds for almost 6000 miles in two months this summer.
I won't debate what tire is best as everyone has had success with about every brand.
What I will debate is proper inflation of any tire. Mine, like most 10 ply say max pressure is 80 PSI. Our fifth wheel max pressure is 110 psi.
There are tons of folks that experience blowouts on either the truck or the trailers. We see reports all the time of blowouts causing thousands of dollars of damage. I believe it's because people don't know what happens to their tire pressure after being on the road.
Before leaving on our summer tour of the NW states this year, we bought a tire pressure monitor (TPM) for the fifth wheel tires that are filled with nitrogen. (supposedly, with the green caps) Our truck has built in TPM's.
Max TP on truck, 80 psi
Max TP on fifth wheel, 110 psi.
Before leaving I inflated the truck tires to 75 psi, and the fifth wheel to 100 psi.
Leaving in 90 degree temps at 70 mph, The fifth wheel pressures went up to 115-118 psi depending on which side was in the sun, exceeding the max pressure of 110 psi which makes them prime for a blowout. Pulled over, reduced pressure still hot to 105 psi on FW.
Truck pressure went up to 85-88 psi depending once again on which side was in the sun. Amazing how the sun makes a difference.
The rest of the trip we had no issues. Our TPM checked each trailer tire every 5 seconds for pressure loss, or total failure while giving us a readout of TP and tire temperature. Tire temps is how we found out how the sun has an effect on TP. All pressures shown on the vehicle monitor and the aftermarket monitor were verified by a manual tire gauge that I have confirmed accurate.
We did notice one axle, one tire consistently had higher pressures/temps, so I'm betting that will be the first tire to show wear.
So, the end of my long story is to get a TPM if your going to be pulling any type of trailer no matter how heavy and don't approach the max that the tire manufacturers post on their tires.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for General AT2. I got tired of BF Goodrich going "out of round" and couldn't be balanced at half tread life! Dodge Diesel 2500 4X4. Went with General and have gotten at least 50,000 out of each set and at times I tow heavy!
General baby!!!!

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of 5 used Michelins with a lot of life left in them came off my 2011 dually $400 probably could run another 30k on them. they are in classifieds.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a new set of tires for 2017 F150 4 door 4x4. I bought this 1/2 ton 2 years ago because I don't frequently need a 3/4 ton like I used to and it was a bargain I didn't want to pass up. AND, my tire guy for the last 35 years retired and closed his shop.

Most of my driving is highway, but I do drive some country roads, occasionally haul or tow a load, or get muddy.

I prefer to buy quality and a single tire cost as much as I used to pay for a set. I've had excellent luck with Michelin car tires, but have no experience with them on a truck.

The tires are 265/70R17. Current tires are 10 ply muds and I am planning to replace with 10 ply all terrain.

Best choices I have so far are
Michelin @ $40ish higher than the others
BF Goodrich AT (not the ko2)
Cooper
Hankook

What experience good or bad have you had with these?
My 98 chevy silverado has been getting Michelin tires for as long as I've had it, i.e., since 2010. All my vehicles get Michelin. They are more expensive, but they last enough longer to make it worth while.

Bill

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the Michelin LTX E on my 2014 F150...best road/tow/all-around out there. You'll be very happy with this tire.
If you want an AT.....I've always loved the BFG KO. Great looking tire...performs just as good.
If you want to stay All-American...you're looking at Goodyear, Cooper, Mickey Thompson, MasterCraft.
Personally....my next set will be the Cooper AT3.
Why are you switching to Cooper?

My now retired tire guy warned me in August that Cooper tires were going up in price after Cooper was purchased by Goodyear. Recent price checks put them about $50/tire higher than this summer but still about the same price difference compared to Michelin.

Google says Goodyear and Cooper are only American tire companies left and now they're one.

Buying American does appeal to me. While Michelin is French, aren't they made in Oklahoma?

Latest posts

Top Bottom