Let's talk tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always bought Cooper or Michelin. Tires that came with new truck are Hankook, don't know enuff yet to say... I know I will never buy Firestone again,had nuthin' but blowouts.
My other truck* is a Hyundai Elantra, came with Hankook tires new from the dealer. Lost two of the 4 tires to road hazards in the first 6 months. Replaced them with. Michelins and haven't lost another since.

Bill

*It's my wife's reliable car, and I tell her it doesn't have as much cargo space as the other truck, but you can load 10' pipe and boards in it. Which doesn't work with the Chevy.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the VA in OKC today and they had an advertisement for tires, you might check there, anyone off the street can buy at the VA Canteen. Also, if you are authorized, you can buy tires at Tinker AFB Service Station.

Gunblinder

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve gone thru 4 sets of tires all load rated e.
1st-factory Michelin LTX AT2, smoothest ride on paved streets, good handling during all weather conditions on paved roads, terrible on wet soft roads, did not last 25k but that might be cause they were factory
2-Goodyear duratracs, if it was not for the road noise when they wear or the rock flinging, quite possibly the best all terrain
3-cooper discoverer atx3 ltx, so far on my second set, first set, I had to return due to sidewall cracking within 7000 miles so kind of disappointed but glad they honored the warranty, handles well in all conditions and road noise is significantly less than duratracs, flings rocks just like the duratracs

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been back and forth between the Cooper AT3 and the Michelin AT. I really want to go with the American made and American company Cooper AND will save $160. However, while Michelin is not an American company, the tires are most likely American and Oklahoma made. My experience with Michelin tires has just been too good, the online reviews consistently excellent, and the Cooper reviews range from very good to not so much.

Going with the Michelins. Makes me cringe to think of spending $1100 on a set of tires.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are you switching to Cooper?

My now retired tire guy warned me in August that Cooper tires were going up in price after Cooper was purchased by Goodyear. Recent price checks put them about $50/tire higher than this summer but still about the same price difference compared to Michelin.

Google says Goodyear and Cooper are only American tire companies left and now they're one.

Buying American does appeal to me. While Michelin is French, aren't they made in Oklahoma?
I'm just looking for something more aggressive in an "All-American" tire.
Nothing bad to say about the Michelin LTX....they handled this past winter without a single issue. Me, the other half, a 6 year old, & an 8 month old took a road trip this summer...3 states, 2000 miles, & 40+ hours of driving. More than once (i.e. often), I was the only one awake. Smooth ride, low noise, handled great. I've even had a couple of punctures in the tread patched and these things keep on rolling.
Again....I say that these are probably the best all around tire available and well worth the money spent.
I'll just be going for a different look with the next set.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve gone thru 4 sets of tires all load rated e.
1st-factory Michelin LTX AT2, smoothest ride on paved streets, good handling during all weather conditions on paved roads, terrible on wet soft roads, did not last 25k but that might be cause they were factory
2-Goodyear duratracs, if it was not for the road noise when they wear or the rock flinging, quite possibly the best all terrain
3-cooper discoverer atx3 ltx, so far on my second set, first set, I had to return due to sidewall cracking within 7000 miles so kind of disappointed but glad they honored the warranty, handles well in all conditions and road noise is significantly less than duratracs, flings rocks just like the duratracs
Go from mud tires to duratracs, they are very quiet :)

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been back and forth between the Cooper AT3 and the Michelin AT. I really want to go with the American made and American company Cooper AND will save $160. However, while Michelin is not an American company, the tires are most likely American and Oklahoma made. My experience with Michelin tires has just been too good, the online reviews consistently excellent, and the Cooper reviews range from very good to not so much.

Going with the Michelins. Makes me cringe to think of spending $1100 on a set of tires.
Good choice. I forgot to say the Michelin LXT A2’s have been the absolute best I have ever had on wet roads, by a lot. When it comes to keeping your family safe that extra $200 doesn’t seem so bad. And you won’t even remember the extra money your out in month or two

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the deal, you absolutely wont go wrong with Michelins. I've run them for many years, every time I stray, I come back. That said when I replaced the tires on my '16 F150 the Tire store recommended BFG Sport LT's, said I would be as happy, if not happier than I am with Michelins at a better price. So far I am very pleased with them, will have to see how the wear.

RobertinElkCity

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use Falken Wildpeak on my '03 F250 and '19 4Runner, they worked really well in the Colorado mountain snow/ice and 4x4 dirt/rocks. I found some nasty mud a couple of weeks ago and these tires got me through that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’m almost always a Michelin guy. I don’t think they make the best AT truck tire, but if 95% of your miles are on road, they’re impossible to beat.

I had LTX II’s on my 4Runner when we had the blizzard several years back. The only time I got stuck, I was literally high centered on snow pack. Everywhere else it just kept going. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom