leupold scopesmith magnetic boresighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merciless

Marksman
Reaction score
bought it a long time ago, been sitting in the safe forever. pulled it out today and figgured id learn how to use it. well i can find anything online about it, so i thought id ask here.

[Broken External Image]

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these things and have used it to get a bunch of scopes onto paper. Don't expect this (or any other boresighter) to get you dialed on exactly, you'll still need some live ammo to do the fine tuning.

You're right, I couldn't find anything online, even at Leupold's website. I'll attempt to attach a scan of the instructions to this message, hopefully you'll be able to read them.

Leupold Scope Smith.jpg

The original scan is somewhat larger. If this proves too difficult to read let me know and I'll forward them to you via email.

Scott

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking over the Leupold instructions I realize there are two important pieces of information not listed that will dramatically decrease your frustration level:

1) Don't adjust the your scope vertically to zero. Depending on the height of the scope above the bore, I'll usually adjust it so that it reads 1.5 to 2.0 above zero. Vertical adjustments work like they would when chasing a bullseye at the range, crosshair above the targeted point means adjust the elevation down, crosshair below the targeted point means adjust the elevation up.

2) Windage adjustments should be made to fall on the zero line. However, due to the way the boresighter works, you'll have to turn the adjusting screw the opposite direction than you would if you were chasing a bullseye after shooting bullets into a target. For example, if the scope crosshair appears left of the zero line in the boresighter, you have to adjust the windage screw further in the left direction. Somebody smarter with optics than I am will have to explain that one, I've got nothing...

Hopefully I haven't added to the confusion.

I've used my boresighter on scopes, red dots, and iron sights, but it's important not to expect miracles. If used correctly it'll get you on paper at 50 yards, the rest is the traditional fire three shots then adjust, fire three shots and adjust, etc.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom