Leveling a Scope Vital or Not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Goodness. We can't even get through a simple scope leveling question without bickering.
Everyone needs one of these in their Christmas stocking.
article-0-19FA325E00000578-315_634x451.jpg

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One could look at this as "not vital" but that said, "if you don't plan to it right how do plan to do it?"

Regardless of what grade equipment or skill level of the shooter it does help make a rifle/scope more accurate. More accurate is like more bacon. That is a good thing.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Works for me. But then, I'm talking about doing this with a cheap .22 bolt action rifle and a cheap scope that I shoot with cheap ammo at an indoor range at 25 yds while wearing cool tactical-looking clothes and pretending I am sniping at ISIS militants from 1,000 yds and out. I can almost hear the cheers of the troops I have saved while surreptitiously perched in my sniper's hide on overwatch as I calmly and coolly peer through my eyeball-leveled scope and kill each little fanatic islamist militant dot on the target with a precisely placed round of high powered .22 bulk pack ammo! Pew, Pew! Take that, you bearded g__f__ scum! Then, I bring the target in closer and go all CQB mode as I dispatch the surviving terrorist dots with my battle hardened 1911, (or a polymer .22 pistol). It always ends in hand to hand combat, when I shred the paper target with my bare, lead covered hands and exfiltrate the range, returning by tactical Honda Civic to the rear area to clean my gear and prepare for the next mission.

^^^^ why I don't shoot with Joel. He scares me

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure how anyone can actually get on a Thread without seeing the title of it. Nor do I comprehend responding in the thread without actually reading the original post. I am sure that you have lots of knowledge and great information available on all kinds of gun related topics. But the question on this thread was "is it vital?" and then more specifically "NOT A PRECISION BOLT GUN". And the answer the actual question is emphatically NO, it is not vital. It is "so" not vital, that I would imagine there are more scopes mounted without the leveling process than with the leveling process. If the Title to the thread were, "I would like to make friends and have someone help me level my scope" My response would have been different.
I would suggest that anything someone does with a firearm, it is vital to do it correctly. Also, you have an issue with people disagreeing with you, which means you should get along just fine on this forum.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure how anyone can actually get on a Thread without seeing the title of it. Nor do I comprehend responding in the thread without actually reading the original post. I am sure that you have lots of knowledge and great information available on all kinds of gun related topics. But the question on this thread was "is it vital?" and then more specifically "NOT A PRECISION BOLT GUN". And the answer the actual question is emphatically NO, it is not vital. It is "so" not vital, that I would imagine there are more scopes mounted without the leveling process than with the leveling process. If the Title to the thread were, "I would like to make friends and have someone help me level my scope" My response would have been different.
Well, welcome to the sound bite generation. We've been around for a long time now.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest that anything someone does with a firearm, it is vital to do it correctly. Also, you have an issue with people disagreeing with you, which means you should get along just fine on this forum.

Your right, I apologies, I re-read my post and it was totally unnecessary. I obviously woke up on the wrong side of the bed, that morning. Which is no excuse for being rude. So I would like your forgiveness for being a rude jerk.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Admitting my ignorance here. I can understand how unlevel crosshairs could affect bullet impact if the gun is shot by more than one person, since some will cant the rifle to get the crosshairs level, and others won't. But for a single shooter, if he/she uses the same cheekweld etc for each shot, why would it matter if the crosshairs are at 45 degree angles, or 60 degree or whatever.
I'm talking about a simple X or duplex crosshair, not the ones with mil-dots or BDC circles or all that fancy stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom