Lever Action Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, yeah... I certainly wouldn't rule out a Henry. I love Henry rifles and own several...all .22 or .22 Mag. The 'Small Game Carbine' is by far my favorite. It's a .22Mag with a 17" octagon barrel, large-loop lever, Skinner peep rear sight with brass front sight. It's surgically accurate and smooth as silk. Reasonably priced, too.
I’ve heard good things about Henry, I just don’t have any experience with their products specifically so good to hear

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I forgot one thing. Make sure the lever locks up. I worry a loose lever, one which will fall out of battery/lock, is dangerous for the shooter. I have been told it is an easy fix but have never tried it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three lever guns, a Henry H001 22lr, a Rossi 22lr, and a newer model marlin 1894 in 38/357. The Henry is great, reasonably accurate, and very light. When out shooting squirrels it’s an extension of my body and somehow I rarely miss. The Rossi is alright, haven’t shot it much. Fit and finish is mediocre at best, and it’s just plain ugly. But it’s cheap and a good loaner kinda rifle. I’m almost done building the marlin. With the exception of furniture there is a great aftermarket for them. There’s fixes for the extractor issues a small percentage of people have with them. The wood to metal fit is horrendous. With being able to match the ammo up with my revolvers, and it’s compact qualities, I find it to be an excellent brush/truck gun. Once I get my scout rail/ghost ring sights in and mounted this week I’m gonna take it out and see how it shoots.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Marlins!

My Dad bought me my first gun around age 10, a 336 in 35 Remington!

(Even as a preteen and knowing nothing about reloading, I saved all my brass and boxes back then.)

Then he bought me a winchester 94 in 30/30!

The crazy part is that we could not hunt here in Ohio with those lever actions!

Even as a youth I thought the winchester was clunky, so I asked my Dad if he minded if I gave it to my one brother, he did not, so I gave it to my brother and it is in Oklahoma now!

Funny later in life I ended up buying a winchester 94 trapper in 357 new, and ended up buying another 94 in 30/30 used!

I just cant get used to the clunkyness of the winchester 94's

Now the winchester 92's is a whole different story.......
Bought a 92 in 25/20 long ago, and that action is amazing!

It is funny cause the 1892 action is basiclly a mini 1886 action, why in the world did they not just scale one to the 30/30 cartrige is beyond me!

What I would really like is a custom marlin stainless 336 chambered in 357 maximum, 16" barrel, walnut stock, scout scope!

But I would settle on one like above in 375 winchester!

Latest posts

Top Bottom