Lever actions: Post 'em up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Originally, yes that rifle was made and sold specifically to OTASCO(Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.). they had several models that were sold through their stores.

mine is a 3080 "Trail Ryder" standard Marlin 336 through and through. Just a different engraving on the barrel. The checkering/designs on the stock are pressed in not cut.

Only thing I have specifically planned for this rifle is to replace the trigger with a Wild West Trigger. But I just can't force myself to let go of that much money for such a small piece of metal.

I'm still on the fence on sending this to Olyeller for some refinishing. I wanted to order a matte black scope. However they seem to be popular and out of stock for some time. This was the last gun metal grey one MidwayUSA had instock. I still have my gift cert with Olyeller. Having him refinish the scope wouldn't bother me any. But its kind of growing on me.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Originally, yes that rifle was made and sold specifically to OTASCO(Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.). they had several models that were sold through their stores.

mine is a 3080 "Trail Ryder" standard Marlin 336 through and through. Just a different engraving on the barrel. The checkering/designs on the stock are pressed in not cut.

Only thing I have specifically planned for this rifle is to replace the trigger with a Wild West Trigger. But I just can't force myself to let go of that much money for such a small piece of metal.

I'm still on the fence on sending this to Olyeller for some refinishing. I wanted to order a matte black scope. However they seem to be popular and out of stock for some time. This was the last gun metal grey one MidwayUSA had instock. I still have my gift cert with Olyeller. Having him refinish the scope wouldn't bother me any. But its kind of growing on me.

So thats what OTASCO stands for! Cool, we had them all over Ga in the 60's and 70's. That rifle loaded up with the new polymer tipped ammo would make and ideal 300yd gun. Right about where Col. Cooper wanted one as for range. I've always wanted to get a 336 and do that to one. Looks like I'll be hitting the racks right after deer season!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good thing about Marlin 336 rifles are, they are plentiful. Fortunately they aren't as prized in OK. In some areas people give stupid money for a standard 336. You can find these for a reasonable price.

I bought this one from a member here a couple years back. I think I actually spent more on the scope than I did the rifle.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The good thing about Marlin 336 rifles are, they are plentiful. Fortunately they aren't as prized in OK. In some areas people give stupid money for a standard 336. You can find these for a reasonable price.

I bought this one from a member here a couple years back. I think I actually spent more on the scope than I did the rifle.

I was gonna say that about the scope but didn't. Some folks get to upset over things like that. Yours is cool, the only thing I would add is a backup apature rear sight. The second set down that mounts to the rear.

http://www.skinnersights.com/index.html

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a future addition. And the same brand by the way. I wanted to get the Leupold QRW rings but couldn't justify the extra cost while not having the rear peep sight installed.

That will probably be next years addition to this rifle.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good reports over the Skinner sights, and QD rings would be needed. Good luck on her, and keep us posted, as I will once I find myself one. Actually the Marlin is very popular around here. Not saying we don't have a few around here who think the 30-30 is weak, and you need the newest thermonuclear superdooper short magnum whale killer to take down deer. Had a fellow the other day while he was shooting his .338Lapua(Groups like 5-6" at 100yds) tell me my 30-06 was underpowered for deer!!?? My 700DXLH can hold .5 at 100yds with 180grSP.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tell me what large game animal the .30-.30 hasn't taken on the North American Continent, and I'll show you animals that don't live on this continent.

Yes the .30-06 is under powered for deer. Deer that are 2 miles away.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Tell me what large game animal the .30-.30 hasn't taken on the North American Continent, and I'll show you animals that don't live on this continent.

Yes the .30-06 is under powered for deer. Deer that are 2 miles away.

NAH! You just use a little more elevation thats all!

As to the 30-30, everything from polarbear on down. Its still what alot of Eskimo's use.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dan- Otasco: Great memories there. I grew up in Enid and I think we had 3 of them in the 70s. My first 3 bikes came from there. The "Flying O". Also bought by first pistol there, a CVA black powder kit.

On the 30-30, I've never been a hunter but I had a 30-30 way back when just cause I though a lever action would be a gun plinker. At the time it simply cost too much for plinkin' and I traded it off. Now, 30-30 is cheap and plentiful. I may pick up another one if I can find a great deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom