Lexington WMA Progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember about 30+ years ago when the gun range was in a different location at Lexington. I spoke with the game ranger a month ago and maybe another month or two before it reopens. Can't wait...

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first started shooting at Lexington the range was more toward the middle of the WMA than the East side where it is now.
You had to drive the main road by the ranger station.

Used to lob 38sp wadcutters toward the 100 yard berm.
Artillery practice. :50cal:

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the original range location if you know where to look you can pickup .50cal ball slugs and spent tracer slugs by the bucket.
Unless they have been found and removed.
I am awaiting its grand reopening.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the old range just south of the road that turns east to the lake? Looks to be a berm about 100 yards from the main road?

It's been decades ago but best I remember you went South past the ranger station about a quarter mile, East for a quarter mile, and then South for close to a mile with the range being on the left or East side of that road.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That'd be it then.
You know it really is an interesting place to explore around. If you look around on the far east side of the WMA there are old homesteads, foundations and such. Look like old cattle gates and fencing in that piece of land that used to be private and locked in by WMA land until the 90s or so. I saw an old map of Lex from the 70s and it was only a third or less the size it is now
It's been decades ago but best I remember you went South past the ranger station about a quarter mile, East for a quarter mile, and then South for close to a mile with the range being on the left or East side of that road.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember finding a bunch of .50 projectiles there when I used to hunt down there.

I guess the whole place was part of the war effort and transferred after the war.

Used to train at the army airfield to the south. Had some fun rides on the old Hueys.

Edit: found a report that detailed the navy activity there: trap and skeet range, 3 moving target ranges, primary range, sighting range, turret performance range, .22 range, pistol range, short range and two ammo magazine bunkers. Also says a rocket range was added in '45. Pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom