Lexington WMA Shooting Ranges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I where there three weeks ago tomorrow (fri 11th) and in the middle range there had to have been at least 2k shotgun shells laying out there.
Its sad.. We always take a broom and large dustpan. The work that all of you do out there does not go un-noticed.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The wife and I where there three weeks ago tomorrow (fri 11th) and in the middle range there had to have been at least 2k shotgun shells laying out there.
Its sad.. We always take a broom and large dustpan. The work that all of you do out there does not go un-noticed.
well no offense but empty shot gun shells make the best .22 targets.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a shame that the slobs get away trashing out the ranges we helped pay for.
Over the near 40 years i've been using the Lexington ranges i've seen it all.
Back in the '80's a woman was shot, we chased after people that drove up and
someone would step up to the shooting bench's and grab a pistol or rifle and take off.
I don't go as often as i used to because of the problems.
Last time i was there several shooters with Class 3 gear showed up.
That made for an interesting afternoon.
I wish they had read and obeyed the rules.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm back and it was only me there for all 3 ranges.
A recent Hi-Point 40 cal Carbine I bought did pretty decent.
I did stick a scope on it though.
Found a good load for it shooting cast Lee 180 gr. powder coated bullets about 1.3" at 50 yards for 4 shots.
shot number 5 I sent to the 100 yard target and it hit 4" low and 2" left.
I will be making many more of those.

Wind was blowing a bit.
You can sure hear a difference in sub sonic loads and loads that are above the speed of sound.
Loud crack Vs a Thud.

Some fools have been putting clays on the target posts but other than that it looked pretty nice out there.
I set one clay at 80 yards and hit it with the 40.

Shot the 6.5 CM Axis.
Some neck turned 3x shot hand cleaned cases vs 1x shot tumbled cases not neck turned.

Neck turned hand cleaned 4 shots went .6" and the other load went 1.1"

I have been out 3 times testing that same deal neck turned vs not and each time neck turned in this rifle wins
by cutting the group size in 1/2 or more.
R-P cases.

My rat load in 45acp cycled the Taurus!!!
I have no idea what the load is as I made it a few years ago and the Hi-Point 45 would not strike the rifle primers hard enough to set it off.
I know it is #12 shot and it will bounce off a board or rubber mat and hit you in the face.
Learned that when I first shot a couple of them.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Lexington WMA range can be used if you hold an Oklahoma Hunting License unless exempt. $25 or $32 depending in which license option you choose. I believe it only goes to 100 yards. That length is a drawback, but it is very affordable.
have not been there since they renovated it [was kept reasonable but some people trashed it up now and then] - I hear they did a real good job and if not to far to travel it is [w/license] free and usually few if anyone there - I always kept a pistol strapped and usually carried my rifle to the targets because someone could drive up or just drive off with your stuff

Latest posts

Top Bottom