Light Primer Strikes - Benelli M1 Montefeltro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Need some help please. I have a monte that is failing to ignite primers about 20-30% of the time. I am guessing hammer spring but wanted to ask before I start throwing parts at it. I took the bolt apart and made sure the firing pin channel was clean and put a small amount of oil on it. Not sure what spec on the firing pin is but it looks okay and seems to be coming far enough out of the bolt. It is doing it to factory federal bulk rounds, didn't test it on any others but the misfired round can be put in another gun and shoot just fine. I have had this gun for a couple years and it has just started doing this recently.

Thoughts?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What brand of shells are you shooting? My daughter shot with a guy last weekend in KS who's box of AA had half of the box with primers seated very deep, some fired and some didn't.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"One complaint against the Inertia Driven system is that if the bolt is not allowed to travel forward with authority, it will not fully lock. If eased forward, a pull of the trigger will result in a conspicuous “click”—one that has cost me a turkey or two. Benelli’s Central Manager and Technical Director, Marco Vignaroli, put his team to work on solving that minor flaw, and they came up with a new cam pin design on the bolt’s left front that ensures it is fully locked if the bolt is closed. It allows Ethos users to check the chamber and not make their gun unlocked and incapable of firing. I deliberately babied the bolt closed time after time, and it works as advertised."
I never had this problem with my benelli montefeltro but benelli got enough complaints to do some re designing.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really think it is going into full lockup but I could be wrong. I just remembered that I have another m1 super 90 that I can swap hammer springs to see if that is the case. I will probably do that sometime this weekend, will update with the results.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just put 30 rounds through it of various ammo and didn't have a single problem...as I was shooting it I said to myself "damn these inertia guns kick like a SOB"...then I remembered that both times It had light primer strikes other people were shooting my gun. This past weekend was my father in law who never shoots and is kind of a smaller fella, the other time was at quail ridge sporting clays with my wife's cousin who is a softy that also doesn't shoot much. Maybe they just weren't shouldering the gun properly allowing the bolt to cycle fully? As of now im calling the gun good.

Mattman5000e

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are exactly right; they aren't opposing the gun properly. The inertial system is weird. Incredibly reliable but finicky at the same time. Some of the earlier Benellis would run buried in mud but have issues if you mounted a sidesaddle shell carrier on them.Tell them to jam the stock into the shoulder pocket, plant their feet properly and pull the trigger.

Try this: have one of the people who had issues get into their stance with the gun mounted. Then grab the forearm or the barrel and push it sharply toward the shooter (emulating a recoil pulse). Ten bucks says they stagger back half a step because their stance is not opposing the gun properly. Adjust the stance and the problem is solved. This works great with pistols too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom