Lipstick on a pig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lotsa wet sanding. Started with 800 then stepped back to 400 due to the cerakote being so thick. Finished with 2000, but still had crazing or bead blasting evidence so went to plan B and used fine stone to keep brushed finish. Guys at work are going to think I goth on the weekend with all the black still left under my nails! Lol.
Thanks for all the compliments. Will update when I feed it some freedom pills.
I'd say you did a great job. It looks fantastic. Tisas would do well to offer that color scheme and grip combo as an option. I had one of those, and while it may be considered a 'pig', it shot just fine. Perfect for a project such as this, and a range toy. I think you'll be pleased with it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people bad mouth low end 1911’s, but as long as they’re built to spec, they should run as well as higher priced guns. I’m of the opinion, that Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, etc are building their gun somewhat contrary to JMB’s original “intention” for the gun design. Before you flame me for that comment, hear me out. Today, people think their 1911’s need to be bank vault tight to be well built and accurate, but if you look at WWI and WWII 1911’s, there is going to be quite a bit of “slop” in the slide to frame fit which is why they worked in the conditions they were used in. I have a Wilson built in 1997, and by today’s standards, it’s a rattle trap, but I’ve never had a hiccup of any kind even when using junky mags and cheap ammo. :anyone:

I‘ll be surprised if the OP’s Tisa doesn’t run just fine which is all that really matters. :thumb:

Chris Hayes

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well decided to play around with my budget gun I recently acquired by doing some customizing. Started out as a Tisas duty 1911 b45.
Don't under estimate that Tisas! I have a basic gov model that is a better shooter than my Dan Wesson! All I did to it was sear, sear spring and trigger. Of course, polished the trigger well in the frame.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well got it to the range and it works like a champ even with the aluminum cased round noses that our crazy mail person left in my mailbox from another bender. It really is a great gun even though most give budget guns a bad rap. I've never been a brand hoar *sic* and always buck trends. Only time I've been burned was with a horror fright 4" angle grinder that smoked from the first pull of the trigger till it died in a cloud burnt plastic, but for $30 I didn't expect much.
I guess I'll keep going on my venture to make it a one off and hope for the best. Again thanks for the kind words and if anyone has any hints or tricks on checkering for dummies, I'm all ears.
To be continued....

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Well got it to the range and it works like a champ even with the aluminum cased round noses that our crazy mail person left in my mailbox from another bender. It really is a great gun even though most give budget guns a bad rap. I've never been a brand hoar *sic* and always buck trends. Only time I've been burned was with a horror fright 4" angle grinder that smoked from the first pull of the trigger till it died in a cloud burnt plastic, but for $30 I didn't expect much.
I guess I'll keep going on my venture to make it a one off and hope for the best. Again thanks for the kind words and if anyone has any hints or tricks on checkering for dummies, I'm all ears.
To be continued....
Them benders sure do hurt the wallet !!! I seen bender in the mirror a few times.... yah a 'few" :blush::drunk5::cool:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be continued....
I’ve shot thousands of rounds of aluminum case 9mm and 45acp in some high end handguns. In my opinion, it’s good ammo. :thumb:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard they're decent guns for the money. Haven't ever shot one.... review it for us when you can please!
I have a Tisas Zig M1911 I bought several years ago. Run several hundred rounds of ball ammo through it, and not a problem with the Mecgar mag that came with it, or a couple of Chip McCormick mags I bought after it had problems with a cheap importbmag. It's at least as good as the old GI Colts my dad taught me on back in the late 60's.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lotsa wet sanding. Started with 800 then stepped back to 400 due to the cerakote being so thick. Finished with 2000, but still had crazing or bead blasting evidence so went to plan B and used fine stone to keep brushed finish. Guys at work are going to think I goth on the weekend with all the black still left under my nails! Lol.
Thanks for all the compliments. Will update when I feed it some freedom pills.
I've been thinking of doing that with my Sig P250 compact's slide, to give it the Equinox look. This is an example I found on the Armory Craft website:
8a110a_471b318d673c496b855ad73f74cca9f1~mv2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom