Lithium Deep Cell Batteries

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my trolling motor batteries. I am running a 24-volt trolling motor and at the moment using two 12-volt deep cell batteries. As you might know they are super heavy and take up a lot of room. I am looking at possibly purchasing a 24-volt Lithium deep cell battery. I have done some research and they are super expensive but the ones I have looked at have a 10 to 12 year warranty, 50 to 60 percent lighter and will last up to 12 hours of heavy usage in a day at full power. I have looked at the Dakota Lithium, NextGen Lithium and Ionic Lithium batteries. I see that Tracker has a Lithium battery as well but I didn't see a 24 volt.

Do any of you guys have or using the Lithium batteries in your boat?
Which are the best brands. Any help is appreciated.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several of the trolling motor manufactures recommend against using LI batteries to power their products.
The AGM and Gel cell batteries are a step up from standard deep cycle batteries.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of the trolling motor manufactures recommend against using LI batteries to power their products.
The AGM and Gel cell batteries are a step up from standard deep cycle batteries.
AFAIK, the only difference between gel cell and standard lead-acid batteries is that the electrolyte is in a spill-proof gel form rather than liquid. Battery life and power are pretty much the same.
___

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm...... I am running a Minnkota 24 volt Terranova. I checked with Minnkota and this is what I was told:
The LiFePO4 Lithium batteries can be used with our motor. LiFePO4 batteries that have a maximum continuous output current ratings need to be higher than the maximum current ratings of the trolling motor or the battery will turn off.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes they can run on LI batteries. But not recommended. You also must take into consideration the trolling motors wiring must be the proper guage for the run length and have the proper sized breaker for the installation. Not all boats meet these requirements. Unless they have been upgraded.

The more current the motor draws increases (at higher speeds) heat. That can decrease the lifespan of the trolling motors components.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was gonna need 3 and a new charger. I was gonna be north of $2000. I haven't been close to weight issue, room wasn't going to be any different. With my discount, I was able to buy three 27 series deep cycle AGM for about $450. I get 4-5 years out of a set.

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was gonna need 3 and a new charger. I was gonna be north of $2000. I haven't been close to weight issue, room wasn't going to be any different. With my discount, I was able to buy three 27 series deep cycle AGM for about $450. I get 4-5 years out of a set.
Yea, I will to have to get a new charger as well if buy a lithium battery. I may just dump the idea and stay with the AGM batteries for my motor.
I just thought the reduced weight and mostly the 11 year warranty would be worth it. Still pondering it.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry is 100% compatible with the 12 volt deep cycle batteries. You can safely use them as an exact replacement, unlike the lithium polymer or commonly referred to as lithium which are not 100% compatible due to voltage differences. All the big name manufacturers like Battleborn, Dakota, Bioenno, and Renogy are good products but there are a few off brand such as Chins that have proven to be good products. You can buy them in pairs for 24 volts or simply buy a single battery already configured as a 24 volt. You will love the performance and never have to replace it if it is a quality battery. The BMS takes care of all the the issues you might have and protect the cells from damage.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lithium Iron Phosphate chemistry is 100% compatible with the 12 volt deep cycle batteries. You can safely use them as an exact replacement, unlike the lithium polymer or commonly referred to as lithium which are not 100% compatible due to voltage differences. All the big name manufacturers like Battleborn, Dakota, Bioenno, and Renogy are good products but there are a few off brand such as Chins that have proven to be good products. You can buy them in pairs for 24 volts or simply buy a single battery already configured as a 24 volt. You will love the performance and never have to replace it if it is a quality battery. The BMS takes care of all the the issues you might have and protect the cells from damage.
And yes, you would need a compatible charger for them to get full capacity and proper charging parameters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom