Little Mike’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all had to do with the depression and using onions as 'filler' so less hamburger meat was used. Some make it by mixing in the onion with the burger, others cook the onions on the flattop with a press to caramelize. I don't like raw onions but love grilled onions on a burger or caramelized in a skillet.

According to legend, the onion burger was invented by Ross Davis in the 1920s at the Hamburger Inn in Ardmore, Oklahoma. During the Depression, onions were cheap and hamburger meat was expensive. Ross came up with the thrifty idea of adding onions to the burgers and smashing them into the meat with the back of his spatula. Called Depression burgers, Ross would pound a half onion's worth of shreds into a 5-cent burger. The ground meat and onions cooked together, infusing the patty with the onion until the burger seared around the edges and the onions caramelized and crisped

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried Little Mike's onion burger last week. Burger was good, but the fried pies, apple for me and peach for the wife, were the highlight of the trip.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I tried Little Mike's a couple of Saturdays ago and I gotta say the food is good enough, but in general I won't be making a special trip to go back.

I prefer Ron's Chili and Hamburgers overall.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll try.. but miss Abe’s Onion burgers around NW 48 and Western… there (2 places) for over 30 years… couldn’t beat the smashed onion burgers… closed daily when his meat ran out. Darn I miss them… but thankfully they’re gone = we’re a 2 minute drive 😖
I WILL try Mike’s 🍔👍

Latest posts

Top Bottom