Livestock changing deer patterns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate08chevy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a house with some acreage and would see deer during the day morning and night. Does and bucks. I put my horses on the place and within a week stopped seeing deer. I brought the horses here late September and stall them by the house every night.

Trail cams have pictures every morning and night in the dark since then. Do you guys think livestock (i.e. Cattle, sheep, horses etc) will alter deer movement?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yes, I believe they can affect the patterns decisively. Deer stay off the back 1/4 where my horses run this time of year, I see them on all three other 1/4s from time to time though. The cattle do not tend to bother the deer as they have been there for over 90 years. No, not the same cattle, but their descendents. Not really sure why the horses cause the deer to stay away, but IMO they sure do.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience is similar... deer work to avoid interaction with cattle or horses, as a general rule.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I believe they can affect the patterns decisively. Deer stay off the back 1/4 where my horses run this time of year, I see them on all three other 1/4s from time to time though. The cattle do not tend to bother the deer as they have been there for over 90 years. No, not the same cattle, but their descendents. Not really sure why the horses cause the deer to stay away, but IMO they sure do.

Same here. I've hunted family places with cattle and had minimal issues.

But places fenced off for horses is a different story. For whatever reason they seemed to keep the deer pushed off. Once the horses were moved the deer would come back in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Iv'e seen rangy cows chase deer off. A doe was coming into their feed bin so that may be why, but the cows were having none of that deer being around.

Hell, our turkey run the deer off the corn pile.
Deer need to grow a set and stand up for what’s theirs!
Harrumph!

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I work/live on fairly large range and spend a few hours in a feedtruck every morning. I can't say I ever see deer in the areas that the cattle hang out in. Like the feed grounds, hay grounds and lounging areas. I will say in my experience horses are more inquisitive and "territorial" than cattle. Usually if a cow spots a yote the cow will just stand there staring. A horse sees a yote and he moves toward him. I'd say a bunch of it depends on how much grazing area is available. Out here we've got quite a bit of room per cow. 900 cows on 10k acres.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Horses will affect deer movement. Donkeys are worse since they have a higher protection instinct. I see deer frequently close to where cattle are grazing closer to cover. I’ve only seen them come close a couple of times. One pasture I unroll Hay out next to a creek and the deer are frequently walking through on the other side of the creek. I have an old cripple doe that I’ve seen a few times eating in the creep feeder with calves within 40-50 yds My wife shot a stud buck this year and there where yearling heifers laying within 100 yards of where she shot him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom