Load development for the individual firearm, 6.5 Creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the ball off that lee cutter and chuck the cutter in a drill press with the case length gauge screwed in. Run it at the Slowest speed.
Attach the lock stud and shell holder to a case and run it up the stem.
Holding the case and lock stud by hand.
Apply same pressure to each case .

I get exact lengths and very quick on top of that.

Then Lyman VLD chamfer the mouth etc etc.
The Lee set up works very well like that.
I been searching pawn shops and garbage sales for a drill press. Now I know why…

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the ball off that lee cutter and chuck the cutter in a drill press with the case length gauge screwed in. Run it at the Slowest speed.
Attach the lock stud and shell holder to a case and run it up the stem.
Holding the case and lock stud by hand.
Apply same pressure to each case .

I get exact lengths and very quick on top of that.

Then Lyman VLD chamfer the mouth etc etc.
The Lee set up works very well like that.
Last year I bought one of those Lee cutters you put in your press. That’s a pile of junk! I used it once, torn case neck up.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I have one of those in .308.
Not my favorite.

My drill press was purchased in 1998 from harbor freight for 39 bucks a table top one.
Still works fine.
I use it all the time.
I think they are $69 now.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the lee quick trim die for my basic lee trimmer and thought it worked well. Little nerve wracking squeezing case into die since it uses a plastic insert to keep case from spinning with cutter, but worked with the 6.5CM. Then I use the lyman vld for deburr and chamfer. The inner reamer works better than outer which i touch up with some emery cloth. YMMV

Scott Ames

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Sinclair micrometer trimmer and it is fantastic! I have wasted a fortune on trimmers over the years. Lyman power trimmer- fail. RCBS hand trimmer failed. Frankford Arsenal power trimmer failed. All either chopped up the neck or cut to inconsistent lengths. The Sinclair trims to the exact same length ,down to the same 0.001, only need a slight chamfer and you are done. Not cheap but way less than all I have wasted over the years on equipment and ruined cases. Buy once cry once.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only thing Lee that I use for rifles is the factory crimp die for my AR cartridges.

Even though I'm not all about having the greatest equipment, I still have my dignity 😄.
I have a lot actually. With dies, I use Lee on 45 acp and 45 Colt, everything else is Hornady, save 1 extra set of 6.5 CM is RCBS. I use the Lee mounted primer and I have 2 Lee Single Presses. I did use the Lee Powder Measure too, which was surprisingly pretty darn accurate. I plan on slowly upgrading, for Xmas, my daughter bought me the new Lyman Powder Measure w/stand.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Sinclair micrometer trimmer and it is fantastic! I have wasted a fortune on trimmers over the years. Lyman power trimmer- fail. RCBS hand trimmer failed. Frankford Arsenal power trimmer failed. All either chopped up the neck or cut to inconsistent lengths. The Sinclair trims to the exact same length ,down to the same 0.001, only need a slight chamfer and you are done. Not cheap but way less than all I have wasted over the years on equipment and ruined cases. Buy once cry once.
I’ve only recently heard of Sinclair, probably because I typically avoid Brownell’s. That website is the least user-friendly site I’ve ever tried.
Anyway, I’ve yet to buy anything Sinclair, but I have seen a ton of high reviews on their stuff, so I’m planning to. I’ll check out their trimmer.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh you’re talking about the L.E. Wilson Trimmer? Yea, I’d flip over owning one, but I cant justify that much cash, at least not right now. I think I’m gonna get the Hornady cam lock. It’s more affordable, plus I have all the case holders, plus it comes with the inserts I need, all except for 6.5, and it’s under $5. Maybe it’ll be perfect, it’s gotta be better than how I’m doing it now, 😂.

Latest posts

Top Bottom