Load for 38spl snubie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for a good load for a 38spl. Want something that has good accuracy, yet also good control of recoil. Will be using it in a 38spl snub nose.

Would like to use a lighter bullet than 170gr looking for light recoil and higher fps so what weight would you recommend ? Was thinking maybe something between 115gr and 145gr. Anyone have a favorite ?

In other words i want something that stays on target yet has a light recoil for fast follow up shots and yet gives a good impact.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, staying on target with a snubbie is more a factor of the shooter than the ammunition. You want something accurate, with light recoil, and "good" impact? Look for some of those old Federal Nyclads in 125 grain. if you can't find them, then just get a brand name bonded JHP round and be happy. Federal Guard Dog maybe? Hornady also has a low recoil for the snubbie; I believe it's like a 110 grain, box is marked "lite".

Last edited:

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting....I am of the school that at 5-7 feet....I want the heaviest load I can .......I'll be watching this .... ;)

Well actually i tend to follow your thinking, i also like the more the better too. Guess i should have been a little more clear in just what i was looking for when i started this. I am looking for a good handload giving the best accuracy and controlled recoil for a snubbie for target practice where i will be shooting from 200 to 300 rounds per set, not for carry loads. I am almost 79 and my reaction to recoil when shooting a lot of rounds is not what it once was, therefore i need something that is easier to handle. I have been using some 148-158gr for practice and while i can still do well with the first shot, the follow ups are getting a bit harder, especially after the first 100 rounds. For actual carry rounds i use the heavier rounds because i can handle the first 5 or 6 with no problem, though the +P loads do offer a bit more than i really like.

Hobbes, thank you for your response, i will indeed give that one a try and see how it works for me. The rest of you thanks for your recommendations i will certainly keep them on my list of possibles.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 79 years young (bless your heart!) maybe you should consider trading in that .38 Special for a snubbie chambered in 22LR or maybe 22 Magnum.

Some might scoff at the idea but honestly...would YOU wanna be shot with that mean little SOB?

Not me! :hellno:

That little feller is gonna ricochet inside a bad guy's body and bounce around like a BB in a boxcar! I have a Taurus PT-22 that I tote every now and then, especially when working outside when I have on a just a T shirt and a pair of gym shorts.

The Ruger LCR offers snubbies in both calibers and you would be hard pressed to find a better weapon IMO. :thumb:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
200 rounds or more at a session is a lot from a revolver, for me at least.
Not sure I wouldnt have the same problem.

Here is another option:

d3vlrk5fm1gp81.cloudfront.net_wp_content_uploads_Webcontent_imbc58ad56fb77b10c3fa4537c171f849d.jpg

Wax bullets.
They engage the rifling and are quite accurate.
Probably won't shoot to the same point of aimas heavier rounds tho.

Instructions here

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/4/12/how-to-make-and-reload-wax-bullets/

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of the issue with small revolvers is the long heavy trigger pull. Wax bullets like above, or just dry fire while holding a steady aim will help there.

For trying to manage follow up shots, I've found that if I practice past the point of hand/arm/eye exhaustion, I no longer benefit from it. If everything after 100rds is becoming less fruitful, don't. You won't be firing 100rds under stress.

Latest posts

Top Bottom