Load for 38spl snubie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of the issue with small revolvers is the long heavy trigger pull. Wax bullets like above, or just dry fire while holding a steady aim will help there.

For trying to manage follow up shots, I've found that if I practice past the point of hand/arm/eye exhaustion, I no longer benefit from it. If everything after 100rds is becoming less fruitful, don't. You won't be firing 100rds under stress.

Your certainly right about long heavy trigger pull. When i was looking for a small 38 i tried about 5 or 6 different 38's and was amazed at how most of them had really crappy trigger pulls. I tried one, don't remember what brand it was, but it was a major brand that had a trigger pull i would say was at least 12 pounds. Finally when i tried the Ruger i bought it right off because it had such a good smooth easy pull. The first time i bought a Sig 45 pistol that had a double action trigger i sold it the first day i shot it because of the long heavy trigger pull.

Well i have to admit that i have slowed down quite a bit in my practice. I used to do 3 or 4 hundred rounds a couple times a week, but i am down to about 150 to 250 rounds now a couple times a month when i can, and i don't see that going any way but down as time goes on.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
200 rounds or more at a session is a lot from a revolver, for me at least.
Not sure I wouldnt have the same problem.

Here is another option:

d3vlrk5fm1gp81.cloudfront.net_wp_content_uploads_Webcontent_imbc58ad56fb77b10c3fa4537c171f849d.jpg

Wax bullets.
They engage the rifling and are quite accurate.
Probably won't shoot to the same point of aimas heavier rounds tho.

Instructions here

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2010/4/12/how-to-make-and-reload-wax-bullets/

Most excellent i simply must give this a try. Heck i would be able to get in some practice right here in my own back yard if it works out. Thank you for the info and link. Bad Dog NO...GOOD Dog...:clap3:

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At 79 years young (bless your heart!) maybe you should consider trading in that .38 Special for a snubbie chambered in 22LR or maybe 22 Magnum.

Some might scoff at the idea but honestly...would YOU wanna be shot with that mean little SOB?

Not me! :hellno:

That little feller is gonna ricochet inside a bad guy's body and bounce around like a BB in a boxcar! I have a Taurus PT-22 that I tote every now and then, especially when working outside when I have on a just a T shirt and a pair of gym shorts.

The Ruger LCR offers snubbies in both calibers and you would be hard pressed to find a better weapon IMO. :thumb:

I agree, i wouldn't care to be shot with one either LR, Magnum, or even a short. The first 2 guns i ever carried were 22 cal but i would not really want to go back to one in todays world where a boozed up 0r high on dope 300 pound bubba might just get mad if you didn't hit him in just the right place with the first couple of shots. I pretty much go with the old line " I don't shoot anything that don't start with a 4 ", as far as i am concerned a 38spl is my bottom line for a defense weapon. I love 22's for shooting rabbits and target shooting but just not for defense shooting.

James41

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If everything after 100rds is becoming less fruitful, don't. You won't be firing 100rds under stress.
" Firing 100 rnds under stress " Not very likely especially with a 5 shot revolver...:pms2: In all honestly i will be more than lucky to make it past the 3rd or 4th shot. Now with my 40sw or the 45apc i might accidentally make it into the second magazine:anyone:

Last edited:

rbstern

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Lee 358-125 RF for plinking rounds out of any 38/357. I make them in big batches, size them .358, and use them for both 38 special and 9mm. Shoot the 38 special out of a 642 Airweight, a 686, a Rossi 92, and a suppressed 357 H&R, loaded so they'll stay subsonic velocities out of the rifles, usually with close to a max load of Clays or Royal Scot. Any of the speedy pistol/shotgun powders will work in this type of formula. Bullseye, Red Dot, etc. Lighter powder loads work, too, but the crimp has to be firmer. With so little powder in the case, the primer needs a chance to get everything lit up before the bullet heads downrange, otherwise the velocity gets erratic.

The bullet profile allows the cartridge to slide easily into revolver cylinders, feeds well from in a lever gun, and leaves a decent mark on paper. Not as clean as a wadcutter, but still good.

Opinion on recoil is subjective, but I think it's pretty light, even from the Airweight. It's the kind of round most folks could shoot all day. It's also a good small game round: Makes a single hole, all the way through.

leeprecision.com_images_P_90306.jpg

Not sure if anyone casts this bullet commercially, but there are other 125 grain, as well as 105 to 110 grain offerings that would work just as well in a snub.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot my 148 gr cast boolits with 3 gr of hp38. Nice little round. I'm watching a couple s&w 351c's on gunbroker. The idea of 7 rounds of 22 mag sounds kinda cool

Latest posts

Top Bottom