Loaded Handgun Storage in Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G26inOK

New to the site!
Reaction score
What are the current laws regarding the storage of a loaded handgun in a vehicle in a locked storage box?

I have an SDA CCW, and I have looked through the current SDA law book. However, it is a bit unclear in this area.

If I am concealed carrying, and need to go into a posted business, can I lock up my loaded handgun in a storage box in my vehicle?

This seems like an obvious yes, however as I say I can't find a clear reference to it in the current SDA Lawbook.

Thank you!

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think here in Oklahoma, common sense is all you need. While it is in your car, keep it out of sight and keep your car locked. I know of no specific law pertaining to this other than keeping it locked in your car if you must leave your car in a school parking lot.

Traveling state to state is another matter. If you travel from a state where you can lawfully keep it to another state where you can lawfully keep it but must pass through any other state(s) where such possession is illegal, keep it locked up in a container, unloaded, and the ammo locked up in a separate container as you pass through those states. It is federal law known as the FOPA(Firearm Owners Protection Act).

Woody

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion laws are written to tell you what is illegal to do. Sometimes there are clarifications that give exceptions that say nothing here restricts bla bla.

Now, common sense should come into play to go from what is legal to what is smart to do. It is not illegal to leave your loaded pistol on the passenger seat while you run into the bank if your bank requests no carry and you want to adhere to that. Smart to do? Not so much.

I carry my 1911 virtually all the time. I used the locked trunk for temp storage when needed. Had a small non descript bag in the back seat to slip it into before getting out and placed the bag in the locked trunk. After owning the vehicle I drive most of the time for over two years, I accidentally found a "secret" compartment not even mentioned in the owners manual. Now, if I have to leave my pistol in the car unexpectedly for a few minutes, it covertly goes in there in 10 seconds, usually before I park.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my vehicle, as well as in many others, there is a little key-controlled lever down by the left side drivers door that I can flip that prevents someone from breaking a window and then popping the trunk. If I HAVE to secure my handgun in my trunk, it goes in a cabled-to-the-frame lock box, and then it comes back out and back in my holster as soon as it is legal.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No laws about it except on school grounds as mentioned above. The exception would be a post office or other Federal building parking lot or military installation - illegal to even have a gun in your vehicle, loaded or not, permit or not, lockbox or not - at least that's the way I read it.

No private business may prohibit you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle if you are in an area designated for the parking of motor vehicles. Same applies to state and local government buildings - NOT to Federal property (or tribe lands, as I believe).

^^^ IANAL, but these are the laws for Oklahoma as I understand them.

G26inOK

New to the site!
Reaction score
Ok, but where in the OK SDA law book does it say I can store a loaded handgun in my vehicle if I have a CCW? I know it wouldn't make any sense, but laws don't always make sense.

Section 1289.13 specifically forbids it, and goes on to speak to rifles if you have an SDA license but remains silent on handguns. This section does pertain to transporting not storing, but where does it say loaded storage is allowed?

TITLE 21 § 1289.13 TRANSPORTING A LOADED FIREARM Except as otherwise provided by the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act or another provision of law, it shall be unlawful to transport a loaded pistol, rifle or shotgun in a land borne motor vehicle over a public highway or roadway. However, a rifle or shotgun may be transported clip or magazine loaded and not chamber loaded when transported in an exterior locked compartment of the vehicle or trunk of the vehicle or in the interior compartment of the vehicle notwithstanding the provisions of Section 1289.7 of this title when the person is in possession of a valid handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesnt state where its legal. The reason it is legal is because it is not prohibited. The legislature usually isnt in the business of making laws stating what is legal, be way to many otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom