Loading 30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Just checking my thinking here.
Loaded 12 rounds today 3ea 48 through 51 grains of powder.
Planned on shooting all to check which powder gives me best accuracy, then take which ever that load is and work up and down to fine tune.
With the powder and bullet used, books say between 51 and 53 are max load so sticking with low number on max so if 51 is most accurate I have wiggle room to go up when fine tuning.
First time loading rifle rounds and just want you reloaders input/pointers and to check ye old head space and timing twixt the ears!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're doing it right. The fastest is not necessarily the most accurate, and in the bigger scheme of things, the more accurate load that is 200 fps slower makes darned little difference down range. What powder, bullet, primer combo are you using?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady 150gr SP IMR 4064 and CCI #200 AOL 3.2

Good powder choice with the lighter .30 bullets. You should see around 3100 fps at the max load.
If you decide to move up to the 165 grain and higher, H-4350, or Reloader-17 will work better.
Reloader-17, that I use claims to offer 100 fps faster velocity with the same powder charge and pressure in the 06. I have not tested any across my chrony to confirm though. It's good enough for 400+ yd elk kills.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
target1.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
Generally when you conduct a OCW your loads will be separated by 0.2/0.3 grains of powder. Having loaded 3 to 5 rounds for each charge weight determine which load produces the best accuracy. Once you have settled on a specific charge weight you will "fine tune" with bullet seating depth.

The bottom pic is the OCW test and the top pic is after adjusting bullet seating depth. I was loading Berger 7mm 168 grain hunting VLD bullets. I settled on 62.9 grains of powder but the node was still viable at 63.2 grains. Now I can certainly push a 168gr a lot harder and probably find another accuracy node but I didn't see a need to. This load will kill any deer/antelope I choose to shoot at.

Note, each group was right at 1/2 MOA or smaller @ 100 yards. Groups were fired off a bipod/rear bag and it always helps to have a custom built rifle.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!
Dennis I went with the 150gr to punch holes in paper, practice loading rifle cartridges and learn the load workup process.
Jcan a custom built rifle is a ways down the want list, but in the drooling/planning stages at this point LOL.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!
Dennis I went with the 150gr to punch holes in paper, practice loading rifle cartridges and learn the load workup process.
Jcan a custom built rifle is a ways down the want list, but in the drooling/planning stages at this point LOL.
What are your plans for a hunting bullet?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been working up loads for my sons 260 using Honady ELD-X bullets and they are proving to be very accurate. I believe they offer them from 178-220gr in a 30 cal. These may be a bit too heavy for your application though.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checking my thinking here.
Loaded 12 rounds today 3ea 48 through 51 grains of powder.
Planned on shooting all to check which powder gives me best accuracy, then take which ever that load is and work up and down to fine tune.
With the powder and bullet used, books say between 51 and 53 are max load so sticking with low number on max so if 51 is most accurate I have wiggle room to go up when fine tuning.
First time loading rifle rounds and just want you reloaders input/pointers and to check ye old head space and timing twixt the ears!!
Good load choice for the 30-06. Curious to what muzzle velocity you get with your load if you have the ability to check. One of the first rounds I started reloading for back in 1983 was the 30-06. A Rem 700 RS (rynite stock) and a Browning FN Mauser Safari Grade mostly using IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 for deer hunting loads with Sierra 150 spitzer and Hdy 165 SPBT bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom