Loading 30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Good load choice for the 30-06. Curious to what muzzle velocity you get with your load if you have the ability to check. One of the first rounds I started reloading for back in 1983 was the 30-06. A Rem 700 RS (rynite stock) and a Browning FN Mauser Safari Grade mostly using IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 for deer hunting loads with Sierra 150 spitzer and Hdy 165 SPBT bullets.

Don't have a chrono, I believe Wilshire gun has one to rent but I have not been to shoot my rifle there yet!! Going in the morning first thing and will let you know if they do.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very good friend of mine, who was shop foreman at Champlin Firearms for many years, gave me a handfull of Sierra 150-grain Game Kings when I got my first .30-06. His comment - 'that's the only bullet you need for an '06.' He was talking about Oklahoma whitetails, of course. If I were going after something bigger, I'd step up to 165's or 180's. But, for whitetails, it will always be the 150's.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was kind of wondering about my scope, had problems getting zero set last year and today gun was all over the place. So time to shop scopes and start all over!!! Scope came with the rifle so I knew I would have to get something else, sometimes being cheap bites ya on the buttocks LOL

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was kind of wondering about my scope, had problems getting zero set last year and today gun was all over the place. So time to shop scopes and start all over!!! Scope came with the rifle so I knew I would have to get something else, sometimes being cheap bites ya on the buttocks LOL

I dare say, it is never a mistake to upgrade your optics. However, before you spend a lot of money, be sure everything is tight. Stock screws, bases, rings ... the whole schmeer.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started checking the scope out and the front mount was loose!! Thought I checked that the last time I shot!!
So know I am loading some more and have an excuse to go back to the range tomorrow after work!!:cool:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So scope and rifle are doing good now!! Loaded 20 @ 48 grains of powder just to check scope and zero. 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. By the time I felt good about the zero I was starting to flinch a little so stopped there. Believe I am going to spend a few bucks on a boyds stock for this beast, this synthetic stock takes none of the recoil.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So scope and rifle are doing good now!! Loaded 20 @ 48 grains of powder just to check scope and zero. 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. By the time I felt good about the zero I was starting to flinch a little so stopped there. Believe I am going to spend a few bucks on a boyds stock for this beast, this synthetic stock takes none of the recoil.
Invest in a PAST Magnum recoil pad for your shoulder. It runs the scope out a bit but you can take a hundred rounds easily.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...fEto7r4Hx3OnXo3MmpP74Byf0ToOg7vhoCfbQQAvD_BwE

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good for you. Dennis had a good suggestion with the PAST. An alternative ... fold up several shop rags and put between the butt plate and your shoulder. I figure you were probably shooting in your shirt sleeves. Remember, during season you will probably have more layers of clothing on to help absorb that recoil.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis! One is on the way!!
DRC ,when shooting at deer I get so amped I don't feel the recoil,but sitting at the range and bumping off 20 rounds for load work up is something else entirely LOL. Yesterday at around number 17 I forgot to chamber the next round after checking the target and flinched when I pulled the trigger, so much for being a baddass LOL!!!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis! One is on the way!!
DRC ,when shooting at deer I get so amped I don't feel the recoil,but sitting at the range and bumping off 20 rounds for load work up is something else entirely LOL. Yesterday at around number 17 I forgot to chamber the next round after checking the target and flinched when I pulled the trigger, so much for being a baddass LOL!!!

I know exactly where you're coming from! I'm the same way. Even with my "big" guns, I don't even notice recoil when actually shooting at a living critter. Off the bench ... entirely different matter. Try shooting .375 mags and .458 mag from the bench. It can be an 'eye-watering' experience.

BTW - Let me know how you like that PAST recoil shield!

Latest posts

Top Bottom