Local Beef and Poultry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am friends/family with a few beef producers that sell by the quarter/half or whole. Sometimes they offer ground beef separately.

I know of several more who do the same.

About 3 or 4 months I shared the info with a few members.

IIRC one relative in the Owasso area has butcher dates in February for home grown beef.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our neighbor is prepping to open a custom butcher shop in the Edmond area so they can sell direct to the customer. It hasn't happened yet as it's still in the planning stages with property to buy, but money is not an issue with him, so it's coming.
The middlemen in the beef and grain industries are milking the farmers and ranchers. I see lots more of this in the future.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have rancher relatives and buy my halves from them. Reminds me I gotta tell them 1.5 lb instead of 1 lb packages this time. No leftovers with the 1 lb.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am friends/family with a few beef producers that sell by the quarter/half or whole. Sometimes they offer ground beef separately.

I know of several more who do the same.

About 3 or 4 months I shared the info with a few members.

IIRC one relative in the Owasso area has butcher dates in February for home grown beef.
Butcher dates right now are the tricky part. The butcher’s around my part are booked anywhere from 6 to 12 months out. One of the butcher’s closed down about 2 years ago due to the owner’s age which didn’t help with finding a date. Don’t know if this is a problem all over the state, but the demand for local beef has definitely increased over the last couple of years.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Butcher dates right now are the tricky part. The butcher’s around my part are booked anywhere from 6 to 12 months out. One of the butcher’s closed down about 2 years ago due to the owner’s age which didn’t help with finding a date. Don’t know if this is a problem all over the state, but the demand for local beef has definitely increased over the last couple of years.
Yes. They plan well ahead. I believe they plan butcher dates throughout the year around 6-9 months in advance.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know local beef or poultry ranchers who sell directly to consumers? Given the shortages in the supermarkets, why not help the local economy out at the same time.
Our beef, pork and chicken come from our pasture and most of our veggies come from our sweat too. I raised so many birds that I had to give away about 50lbs of chicken in order to fit the beef. I have hopes of putting up our own cold room so that I'm not paying the local processor but time and funds hasn't permitted yet. We also sell meat bird chicks and had a regular customer that took all we could hatch last year. Needless to say they'll be higher priced than last year. $14 for a bag of chicken feed, I recall $5. Our butcher date was 1 year out but I'm told there's a new one near by, I'd still rather do it myself.

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone know local beef or poultry ranchers who sell directly to consumers? Given the shortages in the supermarkets, why not help the local economy out at the same time.

G.O. Farms cattle raised & fed in Medford, sold in Edmond. Great prices and lots of order options. Ground by the pound too. They also sell through Consious Co-op on Waterloo Rd. Good friends of mine. Thanks for supporting local business!

Latest posts

Top Bottom