Local IDPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safety first, don't EVER drop your gun, then accuracy. Don't worry about your time, that wil came later. Get a few under your belt and you are good to go. Find someone on here to show you the ropes on your first outing.
After your first match you'll never look at standing in front of a target shooting one round ever 3 secs the same!

I hate to resurrect a semi dead thread, but how does one get started with either IDPA or IPSC? Do you just start showing up at the matches, or are there any locations where you could take a class or just practice in the greater OKC metro area? I honestly would feel kind of embarrassed just starting out with this whole run and gun thing for the first time at a competition, as the closest thing I have to experience with it either involved a keyboard and mouse or a joystick.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to resurrect a semi dead thread, but how does one get started with either IDPA or IPSC? Do you just start showing up at the matches, or are there any locations where you could take a class or just practice in the greater OKC metro area? I honestly would feel kind of embarrassed just starting out with this whole run and gun thing for the first time at a competition, as the closest thing I have to experience with it either involved a keyboard and mouse or a joystick.

If you're interested in IDPA, there will be a match at USSA in Tulsa on Saturday the 11th at 9AM. Just show up and let us know it's you're first time. We'll ease you into it and you'll get to shoot near the bottom of your squad rotation for each stage. That will allow you time to get a feel for how to do it and ask questions.

I recommend bringing about 150 rounds of ammo, though you'll likely shoot less than 100. Bring a strong side belt holster, off side mag pouches (you can reload from pockets if you have no mag pouches yet) and 3 mags.

Just make sure your gun is unloaded and holstered when you leave your vehicle and we'll show you the rest. :)

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oil Capital IDPA in Tulsa shoots the 4th Saturday; July 25th is our next date. IDPA is new shooter friendly; doubly so in Tulsa. Just show up, let the sign-in folks know you are new and we'll treat you well.

The balance of Glocktogo's comments, including sign-in time, also apply for Oil Capital's IDPA matches. There are fine people to be found at both USSA and Oil Capital IDPA matches, often the same people. Come have fun with us!

Latest posts

Top Bottom