Local place to buy mechanics tools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to buy craftsman at sears but that’s over. I don’t know much about brands. I don’t need pro tools but just something that isn’t junk.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
delco diesel has some good stuff. I bought most of my stuff when working as a diesel mechanic from amazon honestly. that is, if I couldn't find what I needed used or locally. I have a list of the brands to look for if you want it.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Craftsman is still around. I watched a Mobile Mechanic awhile back, he stated the high end tools were out his price range. He started using Craftsman and the high end ones from Lowes. ??? Stated he loses one he don’t lose a lot and breaks them they have warranty!

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a while, but I used to buy tools at Steves Wholesale Tools on NW 39th/Meridian and one at SW 25/Walker. They closed the one on 39th.They did have one in Tulsa, IIRC but it may be closed and gone.

I've been in the one on at 8100 S. Santa Fe, a little south of I-240, down from the wallymart. Been probably 2 years since I was last there.

They did have good quality America made tools, in addition to a lot of crappy tools.

I don't know where you are located but I'd pop into one of the 2 left.

There is a place called Meridian Tools at 1400 SW 59th OKC, but I think they changed their name. I've not been inside in 2 or 3 years. The had a lot of cheap crappy tools plus some pretty darn decent America made tools. You just have to go in, ask and poke around.

Stanley Tools owns a bunch of other name tools, including Craftsman, and they are building a huge factory for hand tools in Fort Worth. This gives me hope that we will once again be able to buy decent quality American made tools. Google Stanley tools and see what all they own, it's amazing. Big pocketbook there.

I don't care what anybody says, you can NOT beat Snap On Tools. They expensive for sure.

Don't know what kind of mechanicking you might be doing, some inexpesive tools may work ok for you, for certain work you'll need Snap On Tools.

Keep your eyes at pawn shops, ebay, etc. Over time you can get a good amount of really good tools.

Good luck to you.

Oh, BTW, anytime you see a 10mm socket or wrench, buy it. You'll lose those like crazy. It just happens. They should sell 10mm sockets by the pound. You can actually purchase new multi-packs of them.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a while, but I used to buy tools at Steves Wholesale Tools on NW 39th/Meridian and one at SW 25/Walker. They closed the one on 39th.They did have one in Tulsa, IIRC but it may be closed and gone.

I've been in the one on at 8100 S. Santa Fe, a little south of I-240, down from the wallymart. Been probably 2 years since I was last there.

They did have good quality America made tools, in addition to a lot of crappy tools.

I don't know where you are located but I'd pop into one of the 2 left.

There is a place called Meridian Tools at 1400 SW 59th OKC, but I think they changed their name. I've not been inside in 2 or 3 years. The had a lot of cheap crappy tools plus some pretty darn decent America made tools. You just have to go in, ask and poke around.

Stanley Tools owns a bunch of other name tools, including Craftsman, and they are building a huge factory for hand tools in Fort Worth. This gives me hope that we will once again be able to buy decent quality American made tools. Google Stanley tools and see what all they own, it's amazing. Big pocketbook there.

I don't care what anybody says, you can NOT beat Snap On Tools. They expensive for sure.

Don't know what kind of mechanicking you might be doing, some inexpesive tools may work ok for you, for certain work you'll need Snap On Tools.

Keep your eyes at pawn shops, ebay, etc. Over time you can get a good amount of really good tools.

Good luck to you.
Ok thanks. I will check them out too. I have two old trucks that need work. About to swap the head on a Tacoma. Thought I would upgrade tools a bit first.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i've used kobalt for years and kinda went somewhat all in. i have a LOT of kobalt tools since there's a lowes within walking distance and the warranty for kobalt tools is "i have this kobalt tool. i have no receipt." and then they say "okay go grab another one" and you grab THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE THEY SELL and they give you that one no questions asked.

i have replaced wrenches with worn off/chipped finishes, cheap ratchets from multi tool kits with the absolute best ratchet they sold, i've traded up on basically anything i've bought lol.

i would *imagine* on power tools they would want more of a 1:1 swap. but on hand tools i can confirm, if it's a kobalt tool you just walk in with it and they let you browse for WHATEVER you want to replace it with.

granted, this was before they bought craftsman and now they shill them and kobalt has moved to the back aisles. but i would imagine as they are still the only kobalt distributor as it's their brand they still honor the deal.

long story short: buy the cheapest kobalt hand tools you can and when/if they even get a bit ugly take them to lowes and the kids working there will let you swap them for nicest tools you can.

and i mean i was honest with them about it; i said "hey this ratchet came in a set and i don't think i can find like this actual one..." and they told me "just grab one". so i did lol. i then did this several times and they never seemed to care.

Latest posts

Top Bottom