Local place to buy mechanics tools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m gonna catch a lot of crap for this, but I’m just gonna say it. Craftsman tools are crap. The old stuff was pretty decent, but anything newer than mid 90s or so is crap. It’s just a small step above harbor freight.
I'll go with you on the first part (though the Craftsman tools I bought in the late '90s were still better than average), but not so much on the HF comparison. I bought a cheap set of metric flare nut wrenches from HF so my dad could work on an old Toyota, and those things should've had "-ish" after every number.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll get flamed for saying it but back in late 70s when I was an actual mechanic I broke more snap on tools than anything else.worked at the stock yards and enough cow crap will literally weld stuff together. I still do a fair amount of mechanic work and use an old set of craftsman mostly but I've bought a fair number of stanley tools lately and never broke one yet. Actually I try to keep a set of tools in each vehicle ( all old and worn out) and I've been buying that cheap stuff from tractor supply. Not the best but it's got me out of some jams a few times.harbor freight just no I'll drive 50 miles to anywhere else

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new Craftsmen 3/8s ratchet that came in my SAE set has been junk for me, broke 2 so far. Haven't bothered taking it in to replace it.

Personally I'm on a Tekton kick right now.
TecTon is great but if your breaking 3/8 got to 1/2 inch. ive broke a couple 3/8 craftsmen but had to really try like over 100ftlb's

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you need more than a handful, check out your local pawn shop. They get entire sets and tool boxes .
I'm curious, are you able to get good deals at pawn shops on tools? The few I've looked at, the tool looked they were beat to death by a contractor for 10 years and they had them marked maybe 10-20% off retail. I never made an offer since it would have been pennies on the dollar from their asking.

Have I been to the wrong pawn shops or do they expect super low offers vs price?

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TecTon is great but if your breaking 3/8 got to 1/2 inch. ive broke a couple 3/8 craftsmen but had to really try like over 100ftlb's

They aren't "breaking" exactly, but I dunno if they need longer fasteners for the guts or what but the gears inside bind up. I generally user a breaker bar to bust stuff loose then go from there.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
facebook marketplace. Retiring/ failed/ whatever mechanics list complete collections with tool truck brand tools all the time for 2-5k. sadly tools dont hold their value well, so plenty of them out there for more than that, but just not worth it. i have never given more than 3500 for a nice box (snap on, mac, matco, etc) an they generally came loaded with tools. Pawn shops have plenty of goods to offer, as does garagejournal.com sales forums.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They aren't "breaking" exactly, but I dunno if they need longer fasteners for the guts or what but the gears inside bind up. I generally user a breaker bar to bust stuff loose then go from there.
Possible. haven't bought one in about 10 years used to take them apart and put a touch of 00 grease on them!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm curious, are you able to get good deals at pawn shops on tools? The few I've looked at, the tool looked they were beat to death by a contractor for 10 years and they had them marked maybe 10-20% off retail. I never made an offer since it would have been pennies on the dollar from their asking.

Have I been to the wrong pawn shops or do they expect super low offers vs price?
It’s all about finding the right pawn shops. I’m friendly with a guy who owns one, and it seems that all the private owned pawn shops have specialties. Like one specializes in audio equipment, another guns and stuff, and another tools, for example. You’ll get the best deals selling to a guy who specializes in what you’re selling, but he also knows how to price his stuff. If you go to the audio guy and look at his tools, you can typically get a better deal that shopping for tools at the tool pawn shop. The pawn shop off nw27th (ish) and may has some tool deals sometimes, he mostly sells audio equipment. Great guy. I bought a brand new dewalt biscuit jointer off him for $40 a few years back, and got a few wrenches off him too.

I hate to put this out in the open, but I don’t turn wrenches much anymore, so I guess I can spread the wealth. Pawn sharks in Newcastle was my used tool honey hole after the tool stall at old Paris closed down. Bought a $2200 set of 1 3/8-2 1/2 wright combination wrenches from them for $400 out the door. Sold them a year later for triple what I paid because they were just so dang heavy. The beam on the 2 1/2” wrench was the same size as my wrist. Another memorable deal was when I picked up a lightly used long handle flex head snap on 1/2” drive ratchet off them for $35. Keep an eye on them, they have a 40% off sale on everything in their store once or twice a year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom