Long Range Budget Set Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how often I would get to shoot it, especially at long range, but I would like to try out something like this.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started looking at this.

Then I started looking at the RPR.

Then I talked with a gunsmith...

Now my kid's college education is unfunded.

But my rifle is supposed to be done next week. Ain't got no optic for it, but I'll have a nice purty rifle.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Two questions.

How serious are you in long range shooting?
and
What is your definition of long range?

@tRidiot setup will, I'm sure, shoot accurately beyond a mile....once he gets his scope. If that's your objective, pass on the Mossberg.

Saving money is a wonderful thing and will allow you to explore your fascination without going in debt. If you're in the exploring mood and think you might enjoy long range shooting and you don't want to go the custom route, I would go with a manufacturer that has better aftermarket support so you can slowly throw money into it and build a nice "trainer rifle."

An accurate rifle is the sum of its parts. It starts with a good barrel then moves to the trigger, stock/chassis, scope, ammunition, and shooter. The missing part here is the action, which is probably the least important part to accuracy but it is important in its reliability, function and aftermarket support. Is there good quality support for a Mossberg action with regards to stocks/chassis, rails and triggers?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Two questions.

How serious are you in long range shooting?
and
What is your definition of long range?

@tRidiot setup will, I'm sure, shoot accurately beyond a mile....once he gets his scope. If that's your objective, pass on the Mossberg.

Saving money is a wonderful thing and will allow you to explore your fascination without going in debt. If you're in the exploring mood and think you might enjoy long range shooting and you don't want to go the custom route, I would go with a manufacturer that has better aftermarket support so you can slowly throw money into it and build a nice "trainer rifle."

An accurate rifle is the sum of its parts. It starts with a good barrel then moves to the trigger, stock/chassis, scope, ammunition, and shooter. The missing part here is the action, which is probably the least important part to accuracy but it is important in its reliability, function and aftermarket support. Is there good quality support for a Mossberg action with regards to stocks/chassis, rails and triggers?
I can't afford to get serious about long range shooting that's why I would like to have a budget set up.

It's one of those deals where I might get a chance to shoot long range a few times a year if I want to drive a couple of hours or so to get to a range. It would be nice to make it out to a thousand yards at some point. I know that is not "long range" for the serious guys but it's good enough for me at this point.

I just like trying to make things work for cheap when possible. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my stuff or win any trophies. I just always thought it would be fun to sling a little lead farther than a couple hundred yards now and then.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't afford to get serious about long range shooting that's why I would like to have a budget set up.

It's one of those deals where I might get a chance to shoot long range a few times a year if I want to drive a couple of hours or so to get to a range. It would be nice to make it out to a thousand yards at some point. I know that is not "long range" for the serious guys but it's good enough for me at this point.

I just like trying to make things work for cheap when possible. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my stuff or win any trophies. I just always thought it would be fun to sling a little lead farther than a couple hundred yards now and then.

I don’t know much about Mossbergs but if that’s all you can swing for now, l say go for it. My son shoots long range with a box stock Savage and I use both a custom build and a Tikka T3 CTR in a KRG Bravo chassis.

At the time my son was a poor college student and I was spending money on his tuition. We got him a Savage Predator Max 1 in 260 Remington. He bought an inexpensive Bushnell 4-24x50 scope for $160 with my military discount. It checked all the boxes except for zero stop and has been reliable and repeatable. We added a sling and bipod and that’s how it sits today. I reload for it and he rings steel quite easily with it out to 950 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom