Long Range Hunting Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyCowboy15

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a 375 CheyTac from Hill Country Rilfes for this. At 1000 yards it has the energy of a 300 Win mag at the muzzle.

The 6.5x284 listed above will have 1017 ft.lbs of energy at 1000 yards and 784 ft.lbs of energy at 1200 yards. Not exactly what I want to shoot an elk or moose with.
I have talked to a few hunters that shoot the 6.5 Norma and have no problem dropping their targets at 1K yds.. I personally have never shot one or have seen it done first hand but I believe it to have enough to take one down and also shot placement might have a lot to do with it as well so I do have to consider that... Thanks for your advise

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have been thinking of purchasing a long range hunting rifle. I am just looking for your opinion on a few things that I am thinking about. I am looking to go on an Elk Hunt and Moose Hunt next year and I would like this gun to be ready for those hunts. I am looking for a rifle that will have the knockdown power at 1K - 1.2K yds. So here it goes.....

Option 1. GA Precision Hospitaller... 300 Win Mag... Jewell Trigger.

Option 2. A custom build of a 6.5-284 Norma... Shillen barrel on a Rem 700 Action, McMillian Stock.

Both of the options will have a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 optics and bi-pod.

I am leaning towards option 1 due to easier to get match ammo for it. I just wanted your opinion on this. thank you

GAP has probably 6 months or greater turn around time with their builds. Mine took 12 months. If you want your rifle and want it in time so you can get some trigger time on it before your hunt you better order it quickly

Have you researched the 28 Nosler? With the high BC bullets from 175gr to 195gr you may find it an alternative to the 300wm. Store bought match hunting ammo may be harder to find for it. Also just because it's match ammo doesn't mean it will shoot good in a paticular rifle.

Out of curiosity, how often do you shoot 1,000 yards or greater?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A WM in a heavy hunting gun isnt that bad to shoot. Depending on bullets. I have a WM in a first gen Sendero and thats about as heavy a gun as I want to hunt with. I can shoot 200gr quite a few times before I dont want to shoot it any more, say 15-20. 168gr I can shoot all day. But still Im about to have it threaded for a brake so I can shoot the 200gr all day if I go somewhere to shoot long range.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just an opinion here, but I would buy a Kimber Montanta in 30-06. Maybe screw a break on it if I had problems with the recoil. I would put a Leupold or maybe a Swarovski on it using Tally LW mounts, and use the rest of the money for a good guide in a good unit somewhere out west. Spend your time doing research on guides and hunting units. Then spend time actually shooting your rifle. Get very proficient at shooting 200 yards kneeling, standing, and prone. Throw in a quick 100 yard dash before shooting a couple of days to really learn breathing control while shooting. You need a little of that at 5000+ feet in altitude, where elk live normally. Then let your guide put you within 200 yards of an elk. Your guide, your shoulders, back, and legs will be very happy with you in the end. Yes, you can shoot elk at 1000 yards off the back of an ATV, but the horseback ride or pack in to elk country will mean a lot more to you in 20 years. And if you ever get separated from from your ammo during a trip (airlines lost it...) you have a good chance of buying some old 06' wherever you are. Again, just an opinion.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now I'm thinking I may do the custom build of the 6.5 Norma.. Could anyone recommend a gunsmith that can will be able to help me in this endeavor?

Something to think about is barrel life. 6.5x284 is very much overbore. You’ll see reduced muzzle velocity/accuracy quicker with this chambering than the GAP 6.5 4S. This is because the GAP is shooting with lower chamber pressure.

Do you have a training rifle to hone your shooting skills with so you don’t shoot the barrel out of your hunting rifle in two years?

Look in the gunsmithing section, you’ll see a list of quality gun plumbers there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom