Long Range Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Weeks worth of 6mm reading here. I like the 6mm Rem and have shot them for years, no experience with them over 500y though, and mine aren't bench rifles.

CoyoteStalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think is the best 6.5 creedmoor stock rifle?

I am a huge fan of the Savage 10/11/12 and 110/111/112 series, but don't go with the Axis because lack of upgrades. The accu-trigger is a great factory trigger, and there are some nice things you can do to the rifle in the future (bottom metal for detach mags, drop in match grade barrels, 20 or 40 MOA scope bases and stock upgrade). The expensive upgrade is usually in the barrel, as you will be changing out the stock at the same time as the barrel.

A lot of guys get hung up on the rifle cost, but the biggest costs IMHO is in the ammo, practice costs and accessories. Here is an example breakdown of the Savage 11 that I built up this last year:

Savage 11, $250 (I've had it a while...before the desperation buying lately)
Shilen Match barrel: $350
Boyds Prairie Hunter stock with lots of extras: $200 (I opened the barrel channel with a 1" bowel rod with sand paper wrapped around it, and used the pillars out of the factory stock.)
Weaver 20 MOA rail: $45 (I think)
Timney Trigger: $100 (about that)
Glass Bedding: $25 (Brownell's)
SWFA SS: $700

This is my current costs $800 for rifle and $700 for optics. This 223 gets 0.4 MOA groups all day with 70 grn VLD. My current load stays above the speed of sound until about 875 yards, and this is my coyote slayer :) Not too shabby for a 22 on steroids.

Future upgrades are bottom metal for about $250 and a couple of mags for $100/mag.

It can get expensive to build up a rifle, and this is a budget build example. I had this gun in my closet for years, and only kept it for my daughter to go deer hunting with me. Now it is just about my favorite rifle to shoot.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or the 270 wsm

Like I said before, match grade bullets are few and far between. You're stuck with factory hunting rounds which aren't particularly suited for long range. If you were an accomplished reloaded you could neck this round down to 6.5mm or up to 7mm and have a very good long range rifle. But it's "overbore" therefore you'll burn barrels out in short order.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the .243 or 6mm?

A 243 is a fine long range round but you would do better to reload for it too. It's also overbore so barrels won't last as long as other chamberings.

This is from my experience if I was to start the long range game anew with regards to caliber selection.

Go with a short action set up with a 0.473 bolt face. You can shoot a 308, 6.5 Creenmoor, 243, 260 Rem, 7mm x 08, and 6.5x47 to name some of them. Whichever chambering you buy you can always change barrels out and shoot a different chambering. Although this may cause additional work and money depending on which rifle brand you buy. All of the above mentioned rounds are good long range shooters, some better than others. The 308 has the greatest match grade on the shelf ammo available. Southwest ammo and Cooper Creek ammo make match grade ammo for the 308, 260, and Creed. You can check out both web pages for what they offer.

My first LR rifle was a 7wsm. I had a 300wsm I sent off to GA Precision and had them build a 7wsm for me. It's my LR hunting rifle. I also bought a Savage Predator Max 1 in 260 (my sons rifle) for practicing. I was limited to what I could build using a WSM action (Winchester). With the Savage I have numerous chambering options down the road if I want to go that route.

One thing you need to know and accept is you'll want to start reloading. You'll save money in the long run.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the difference between the model 10, 11 and 12 savages?

You can search that question here: http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php

You can also learn a lot here: http://snipershide.scout.com/forums?s=541
Be fore warned on this site. They don't put up with the word "sniper" and they expect people to use the search option before they ask questions. You can learn a great deal here to get started in the long range game.

If you live close to El Reno you can go to Gene Sears and talk with them. There are some long range shooters that work there.

Enjoy your new found endeavors. It's enjoyable and frustrating at the same time. Remember to trust the bullet....it never lies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom