Long Range Scope questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also am a Vortex guy. Only time I shot 1000 yards was with a Vortex Viper HSLR in 4-16. I now own an identical one. That scope with a 308 with a flat base was dropping around 32 moa I think at 1000. Ran out of elevation and had to hold over just a bit to be on target. So yours with a 20 moa base would have plenty of adj left for that range. When I went you could look at all the scopes around and I would say 75% if not 90% were Vortex. And these were guys that spent MONEY.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For ELR my choices would be Schmidt & Bender, Nightforce, and Kahles. You want excellent glass, a good reticle, nuts on tracking, and parallax. I don’t think you would be happy with a Viper PST.

If you’re going to stay inside 1,000 the PST would be fine as long as it tracks good.

If you’re going to get off the porch and run with the big dogs it’s going to cost you money. Why skimp on the equipment that aids you seeing clearly the target and aiming the shot?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first choice would be a Vortex Razor HD Gen II. They are the top choice among the PRS series pros. Amazing glass, perfect tracking, etc. S&B is great too but you end up paying quite a bit more than the Vortex and it’s debatable which is the better scope. Nightforce makes a great product too but my money would be on the Vortex. I own several of them. And I could have got anything I wanted and I’ve looked through them all.

Brian Driver

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to put a Nightforce Beast in the Spur mounts but honestly I just cant afford it yet. That's why I was saying a budget of 1500. I may be able to squeeze a little more out but as of now that's what I have to work with hence me asking the question for the price what would be the best scope in that range to hit at 1760. I had a friend mention a HiLux Phenom but I cant find much about them. If this is not the right questions I should be asking then let me know. Like I said I am starting fresh out the box on this setup.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
some reading.
http://www.millettsights.com/resources/shooting-tips/making-a-2700-yard-shot/

What scope did Harrison use.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/05/03/new-record-for-longest-sniper-kill-1-5-miles/

I have shot 500 yards at 18x18 steel with 4 power scope.
I have shot past 1500 with 3x9 buckmaster. missed a crow by inches.
Right at his feet.

Practice and more practice.
I know 1000 yards and 1500 yards are pretty far.
But for starting out i think you could get by with less scope and then when you get really good and find out if the gun is capable you could retire the cheaper scope to a hunting rig and step up to a more expensive scope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom