Long range shotgun - crows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, but 6’s are legal for coyotes and 2’s aren’t. :anyone:
Makes a lot of sense, don't it.

Son got woke up it 3am. Grabs shotgun and heads to back door.
Sees his turkey come around the barn, coyote hot on his tall.
Turkey circles barn and he steps out on the porch.
Turkey rounds the corner and son flips the flood lights on.
Coyote gets that "oh crap" look, seen so often on Wyle E. Coyote.
Son shoots coyote in the face, at 20 yards, with 1 1/4 oz of 6s.

We found the coyote the next morning. He ran over 300 yards before dropping.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago at Tractor Supply, I met a couple of guys talking about crow hunting. I visited with them for a few minutes and asked if they ever heard of shooting crows at long range with a shotgun, and Mr. Bill said he and his grandson Jacob had been reading about that on the Oklahoma Shooters forum. I told them that that was my post, and if they wanted to try their hand at killing a crow at long range with a shotgun, to just give me a call.

Fast forward 2 weeks. About 9:00 this morning, Mr. Bill called and asked if he and Jacob could come by and try to shoot a long range crow. I said sure, come on over.

When Mr. Bill and Jacob finally got here, we put out 2 loaves of bread at the 90 yard mark, got in my ground blind and waited.

About 30 minutes later, here comes the crows! They were carrying off slices of bread just as fast as they could!

I had previously instructed Jacob on how high to hold above the top of a crow, and after getting a good holdover on one that was finally stationary for a few seconds, he pulled the trigger.

One shot and one dead crow at a measured 92 yards!

I don't know who was more happy grandpa or grandson.

I was hoping the crows would come back, but after an hour or so of waiting, no such luck. We just spent the next couple of hours visiting.

Mr. Bill and Jacob said they would like to come back and try again, and I told them to just give me a call whenever they had time, and we would definitely try again.

I printed off a color picture for Jacob holding his crow so he could show it off at church tomorrow, but this is HIS crow.

IMG_20220122_152047.jpg

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not....... 😁

I did this more for Jacob than anything else, and I don't know who was more shocked when that crow just fell over! 😲
Well crap. I guess I can figure it out since you’ve already shortened the learning curve with the info in this thread.

My son met up with Mr Shafer and got the #2 shot, so as soon as I see my son, I’ll be ready to load up some ammo. :thumb:

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap. I guess I can figure it out since you’ve already shortened the learning curve with the info in this thread.

My son met up with Mr Shafer and got the #2 shot, so as soon as I see my son, I’ll be ready to load up some ammo. :thumb:
Great, I'm glad you were able to finally get it!

If you need any more information on loads or loading, just holler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom