Long range training from a Marine sniper, who's in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely in, and I can certainly contribute enough to make it worthwhile! I've got a 24" barrel AR I would like the believe is 1000-yard capable, although I am sure I am much more the limiting factor.

I am definitely, definitely interested! Please let me know! If I have some notice, I might even be willing to purchase a rifle for the purpose! Assuming a .308 or a 300 WinMag, maybe a 7mag or something would be appropriate if my AR is not?

<edit> Just looked up where Crescent is. Wow, it's a hike for me (I'm in Poteau), but I am still absolutely willing. I would come up the night before and saty in a hotel, and if we were willing to do a 2-day event, that would be even better! Come up Friday, leave Sunday. :D

<edit2> Question... what kind of optic do you need to reasonably reach out that far? I mean, I've got a 3-9x40 Crossfire II Vortex now, but I would be willing to spend a few hundred to get something more appropriate if necessary.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm very interested.:w000t:

I will soon be purchasing a new scope for my custom .30/338 Win Mag and would love to see what it will do at long range.
I use it for hunting in cold weather so a weekend shoot when it cools down would be a plus to me. :50cal::sunbath:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This is great you all! Looks like this is something there is a definite group for. the wife and I are in the process of getting in touch with our contact and gauging his interest in doing this. We think he will jump on the idea (what marine doesn't like being the alpha dog in a group, right?).

Looks like we could probably give a 30 day notice before we get together. Would that be enough? I like the idea of a two day event with the second day being optional, I've spent many night camping on this property, an would even entertain that option. Maybe even set it up to have dinner out there (smoked meats, yum!) around a fire. This would all have to happen before Fall turkey season (starts Oct 1) m- after that hunters are out in full force until Deer season is over in January (me included!)

I would think most AR platforms could reach out to 1000 yards with the right glass and a 3-9x40 would be the smallest scope I'd dare to use.

Another option would be to have short (500) medium (1000) and long (1500) lanes, that allows everyone to take part with what platform they have. Just about any modern center fire rifle can reach out to 500 yards with good glass. Right now I'm thinking targets would be steel gongs and paper, maybe some tannerite.

As soon as we hear back from our guy, I will post up the next move. If anyone else out there has someone in mind that might like to teach, give me a shout. Never hurts to have more than one option!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm certainly interested in this. My suggesting would be a 2 weekend (or 2 day) event, with the first taking us newbs to 500-600, then the 2nd day taking it to 1000+

<edit> Just looked up where Crescent is. Wow, it's a hike for me (I'm in Poteau), but I am still absolutely willing. I would come up the night before and saty in a hotel, and if we were willing to do a 2-day event, that would be even better! Come up Friday, leave Sunday. :D

You're not far from me. If we both go I'm sure we could work out some kind of carpool.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Or here's another idea. I know Henschman is in with the Appleseed shoots, maybe do this in conjunction with one of their shoots. The Appleseed will teach the basic marksmanship to get to 5-600yds, then your shoot to go true Long Range.

Latest posts

Top Bottom