Long term loaded mag test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a Magpul 30 round 5.56. mag that I loaded in Feb. 2009 to the range on Friday. The ammo was Federal American Eagle M193. Functioned perfectly.

I have 1 left from Feb 2009, I'll save it for Feb 2019 and do one last test.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problems with leaving mags loaded was with old metal mags, especially some of the cheap foreign made pistols like the Spanish Ruby. Even some older 22 rifles because the constant pressure on the feed lips would bend them out just a little. My fathers old Marlin bolt action had the problem with a cheap replacement mag he had bought. Worked fine at first but left it loaded for over a year and would not feed. I got him some new stronger mags and he could leave them loaded.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took a Magpul 30 round 5.56. mag that I loaded in Feb. 2009 to the range on Friday. The ammo was Federal American Eagle M193. Functioned perfectly.

I have 1 left from Feb 2009, I'll save it for Feb 2019 and do one last test.
Thanks for the report on long term loaded magazines function reliability. I've pondered this for years, concerning EDC pistols, home defense shotguns and carbines. I've went to some trouble and expense replacing shotgun tube springs and pistol magazine springs. Maybe unnecessarily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom