Long Term Owner Reports on Sig P365/365XL/SAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sig P365 Owners:
I know that several OSA members have a P365 or a P365XL or the SAS (or 2 or 3 or...) so please, how about chiming in with your impressions now, after a period of ownership and some range time? I haven't read much here on OSA about failures or malfunctions, but on another forum where there is a lot of talk about Sigs, I continue to see that there are people who are still leery of this gun, despite the fact that Sig has corrected the early bugs and what is being shipped to distributors and dealers now is a reliable, accurate pistol.

So, P365 owners: when did you get the pistol? Which variation(s) do you have? Any malfunctions or problems with it? On a scale of 1-10, how do you rate the P365 as an EDC gun? If you sent the gun or any component back to Sig, the more details the better.

I've had my standard no-safety model P365 now since late August, 2019. I take it to the range on every trip, and have had no (zip, zero, nada) problems with it of any kind, shooting a variety of FMJ and HP rounds through the pistol. It's accuracy is surprising in that it shoots more like a full-size pistol rather than the tiny micro-compact that it is. I would like to see Sig ship this pistol with a changeable backstrap option like we see on some other pistols to allow people to fit the gun to their hand. The grip is a bit too narrow, front to back, for my big hands and there really isn't much I can do to increase that depth without also increasing the width of the grip by putting a grip sleeve on the gun or maybe a section of old innertube. But IMO, the Sig P365 has shown itself to be everything Sig says it is. It has taken over the job of EDC pistol for me. On that 1-10 scale, I'd rate it a solid 9, due to the inability to tailor the grip ala backstrap options. I have to make a Walmart run here shortly, and it will be with me, along with a spare mag, comfortably and confidently worn AIWB.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought mine july 2018 never ran factory ammo through it so i cant tell you how that stuff feeds but i started shooting mine with the same ammo my 75b eats. 115/124 xtreme plated, my cast and powdercoated (multiple weights), 124/147 xtp's. It feeds all flawlessly and is very accurate.

As far as "issues" the only one i knew about was primer swiping. Mine does it just a little but that doesnt hurt anything. Mine stays in my door pocket and i grab it and stick it in my jeans as a crossdraw type carry with a right hand iwb cheap plastic holster.

Mine did start to collect a touch of rust around the rear sight so i stripped it, cleaned and oiled, took the rust off and it hasnt been back.

My only complaint is the 10rd mag with extension, that extension hit right in the center of my pinky, i emailed sig about buying a flat plate and they sent me the info to a guy they use who 3d prints stuff for their r&d and i ordered one from him $15 and a week later i was happy.

I agree it could use replaceable back straps cause it isnt a 100% fit in my hand but i have never handled a handgun in any configuration that is a 100% fit. Beretta 92/stoeger cougar is the best fitting grip ive had.

Im gonna call the sig365 an 8/10 but all for personal preference reasons, i do not have or have ever owned a semi auto i would give above a 9 to so the sig is pretty high on my scale.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My road has been a bumpy one with the P365. My loyalty is getting thinner and thinner by the day.

P365 #1 DOB January of 2018:
I preordered the P365 when they launched. I happened to be in COPS when a shipment of the original ones arrived. Immediately after getting it home, noticed the front sight was dead. These shipped with standard Siglite night sights and not the X-Rays. Sig would not send me the new sights, but instead, had to ship the gun to them. Came back with a new set of X-Ray's and a free 12 round mag (which I still have running). 400 rounds into this weapon, striker broke during a live fire session. Weapon went back to Sig a 2nd time and I was given a brand new in the box P365. Sold it the same day I got it back and ran my Glock 43.

P365 #2 DOB October of 2018:
I decided to try it again. Dead night sights and several of the reports of busted strikers were slowing down. Picked this weapon up NIB from a different dealer this time. (Wont use him again). Immediately started having light primer strikes. The hole in the rear of the chassis that locks the chassis to the grip module, was too large. The chassis was moving out of sync with the upper causing the weapon to come out of full battery. Sig said this could not happen, but it was. They sent me a new pin that was "oversized" to fix the problem. No go. Sent it back to Sig. Almost 2 months later, I received a new in box P365 with an October 2018 DOB and a letter stating they could not find the problem, but thought it was the user wearing the hole in the chassis out by removing the pin. Said it was not recommended to do so at all or ever. Fast forward to now, they sell the grip modules separate and no longer say to not remove it........ I sold the new in box P365, and started carrying my Glock 19.

P365 #3 DOB December 2018:
I had no intentions of getting another P365 ever. I had purchased one of the first Glock 43x's to hit COPS shelf. Even had Tim with TT leather make me a custom IWB Mikes Special with Elephant leather. About January of 2019, I had a Sig I traded for a ton of ammo and the guy added a P365 to the pot. I would have about 300 dollars in the P365, so I picked it up. A week later, I decided to give it a run down. I did a 300 round burn down after cleaning and lubing it. No issues. 200 rounds of my carry load, no issues. 500 rounds of range ammo that consisted of every crappy ammo I could find, HST, quality range ammo and even some 150 grain stuff. Not a single issue. I'm currently at 1355 in this P365 and I have never had a single issue EVER. It currently rides shotgun daily in a Grizzle custom rig.

P365XL #1 DOB December 2019:
I'll start off by saying, I have never had a weapon so tight and be such a PITA during a break in as this XL.
Took it home, stripped, cleaned and lubed it. The striker removal is a bit different on this over my P365. The channel, insert and striker were covered in whatever the hell Sig put on it. It was a tacky clear oil. Once I got it cleaned, I hit the range.

First 150 rounds were a pain. I had 12 failure to return to full battery issues. It would eject the spent round, feed another and get all but about 1/64" and stop. A simple light push with my thumb would return it to full battery. This was using Fiocchi 124 grain FMJ and M.E.N. 124 grain FMJ. I noticed a metric ton of brass shavings/dust everywhere. These were extremely small, but it was everywhere. Looked like you dropped gold dust in there.

Broke it down and wiped everything out. I used a very light oil on the rails and barrel. Ran 50 rounds of Federal HST 147 grain and had 4 more issues. Ran another 100 rounds of Winchester Nato 124 grain FMJ and had 3 of the same failure to return to full battery issues. Again, a light press of the thumb would go full battery and so on. I ended the day at round count 277. Again, brass every where. I did notice that the extractor was making hell on the case rim.

Once home, I took a very fine file and ran it over the extractor claw twice. Cleaned and lubed the heck out of it. Went back to the range the next day and had 200 rounds of Blazer brass 115 grain FMJ run flawlessly. Loaded mags with 124 grain Federal HST and round 477, ended with a failure to return to battery. The weapon was almost too hot to hold. I have a blister on my trigger finger as it was so hot. I don't think I ever noticed this with my P365? Oil used was Lucas Gun oil. Apparently it was cooked off as the weapon was damn near dry. Brass dust was present, but about 1/10th of what it was the previous day. All I had in the bag was a bottle of Remington Oil. Ran a bead over both frame rails, slide rails and over and around the chamber. Round 476 through 566 was flawless. That was 50 rounds of Sig 115 grain FMJ and the rest 124 grain Federal HST. Primer drag was almost nothing. That seems to be gone from the P365, if it mattered at all? I called Sig and they said there were a few reports of the XL's not having a stout enough RSA to return it to full battery. They said they would send another one out and if that didn't work, they would take it in.

Received the new RSA from Sig on 01/09/2020 and hit the range. Started off with 115 grain Sig FMJ ammo. Round 8 and round 11, failure to return to battery. I didn't even get through a damn full mag before two issues. I gave up and went home. Then spent another 34 minutes and 51 seconds getting through to Sig for a return label.

Received a noticed from Sig that my Xl will be here Tuesday. I'll report back after I shoot it.

Last edited:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have pretty well documented my P365 on another thread so I'll just add this. The date on mine is April 29th 2018. I believe this is one of the first batches that Sig started shipping out with the x-ray sights to let everyone know any problems had been addressed. I slowly worked it into my carry rotation after many many many rounds. I have not had any issues. None, zip, nada. I am now in the market to buy another because my wife has taken this one from me and she'll probably want the new one when I get it. That will be fine too because I have no problem to continue carrying the one I had. There is no way I would carry or let my wife carry a weapon I wasn't completely sure of. Mine/hers is a little jewel.

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By the time sig gets all the flaws figured out and corrected they will be 60% ramped up towards their next good new thing. Which means they won’t get all the flaws figured out and corrected. That’s how they roll.

“long term owner” to me, means 5- 10 years, and several k down the pipe. Minimum. Just my opinion

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking to buy a 365XL, but after reading rockchalk06 post I will just buy another 43X with a black slide this time.Last week at the pistol range I go to I noticed a guy had rented a 365XL and he was having problems, but I thought it may have just been dirty because it was a rental gun.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking to buy a 365XL, but after reading rockchalk06 post I will just buy another 43X with a black slide this time.Last week at the pistol range I go to I noticed a guy had rented a 365XL and he was having problems, but I thought it may have just been dirty because it was a rental gun.

I’m hoping for either a new gun Tuesday or this fixed. I really want to love this XL, but if I get a new one, I’m out of the game and this is for sale.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom