Long term rice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A while back I mentioned in another thread the best rice for long term storage is suppose to be parboiled, enriched long grain rice. It is also the lowest on the glycemic index for you diabetics out there.

Anyway finally used up the brown rice we had on hand and tried the parboiled tonight. Cooked it in my rice cooker on the white rice setting with chicken broth and let it set on warm for awhile while I got everything else ready.

Served it under pork cutlets browned then simmered with sweet onion and diced tomatoes fresh from the garden. (ok 1 bush in the back yard) It was light, fluffy and delicious.

Stores for 15 to 20 years in a sealed container with oxygen absorber under ideal storage conditions (cool, dry place). Some say 30 years but most the 15 to 20. You can buy a 5 pound bag at Aldi for less than $4. Uncle Ben's use to sell it too but I am not sure if they still do.

Quick check, Sam's Club 25 lbs for $11.26, Walmart 2 lbs for $1.64

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long term rice storage...well, if you just drum it up and leave it at room temp there are microscopic bugs that will spin very fine webs in it. I freeze bulk bags to prevent this, and always wash rice well before using.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Parboiled rice gets its name from partially boiling the rice within its husk. Not sure you are going to have any bug problems or need to wash it.

Okay I checked, you should not wash parboiled rice. It already has been. (thought I remembered that from the directions but have slept since then)

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long term rice storage...well, if you just drum it up and leave it at room temp there are microscopic bugs that will spin very fine webs in it. I freeze bulk bags to prevent this, and always wash rice well before using.
I do the same thing (freezing first) with my stored wheat flour and dry beans.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brown rice will go rancid quick, but white rice is great to store. If you want different types or bigger bags, I highly suggest going to the Asian supermarkets like super cao Nguyen or the Chinatown supermarket here in OKC. Also, the quality/taste is much better if that’s important to anyone. I can’t remember how much it is, but buy 25-35lbs at a time of sticky rice and jasmine rice. Fantastic stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom