Longest 308 shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People who have never shot LR love to talk out their a**. It's really not that difficult to shoot 1000 yards once you have a good load and a little trigger time. With modern ballistic software, range finders, and weather stations, you shouldn't have to use too many mulligans. With an accurate rifle, knowledgeable shooting coach, proper shooting fundamentals, a dad can have their son/daughter hitting steel at distance in no time at all. It's quite rewarding seeing the smiles on their faces once they do it. Good for you doctorjj. I too have had many an hour of fun shooting long range with my son. Hopefully in October, he'll join me on his first antelope hunt.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks good, i think the only rwason i can get to 1200 is the 26 inch barrel

Sent via carrier pigeon
My savage is a short barrel, 18” I think? 1086 was about max for this gun. I let him “figure it out”. It was fun to see him hit the dirt right of the target consistently (because dad made a bad initial wind call!!) but I let him just keep shooting. Not only did he figure out the wind call was wrong and correct for it but even his misses got tighter and tighter as he learned to read the wind. I did coach him a little about reading the wind, not only where we are sitting but between us and the target too. But still, just seeing that develop in a 9 y/o over the course of a couple hours and maybe 80-100 shots was really cool.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good, i think the only rwason i can get to 1200 is the 26 inch barrel

Sent via carrier pigeon
I hear ya. I never planned on this being an extremely long range rifle. I like to use it when I will have 600-800 yard maximum ranges. Actually, if I know the shots will exceed 600 yards, I just go with the 300 Win Mag, which does have a 26” barrel.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My savage is a short barrel, 18” I think? 1086 was about max for this gun. I let him “figure it out”. It was fun to see him hit the dirt right of the target consistently (because dad made a bad initial wind call!!) but I let him just keep shooting. Not only did he figure out the wind call was wrong and correct for it but even his misses got tighter and tighter as he learned to read the wind. I did coach him a little about reading the wind, not only where we are sitting but between us and the target too. But still, just seeing that develop in a 9 y/o over the course of a couple hours and maybe 80-100 shots was really cool.
Yea the wind was screwing me
I hear ya. I never planned on this being an extremely long range rifle. I like to use it when I will have 600-800 yard maximum ranges. Actually, if I know the shots will exceed 600 yards, I just go with the 300 Win Mag, which does have a 26” barrel.
I just have a 308 lol

Sent via carrier pigeon

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve got a 6.5 Creedmoor surgeon for the bit longer stuff. And then a 375 Cheytac when it gets really long range

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People who have never shot LR love to talk out their a**. It's really not that difficult to shoot 1000 yards once you have a good load and a little trigger time. With modern ballistic software, range finders, and weather stations, you shouldn't have to use too many mulligans. With an accurate rifle, knowledgeable shooting coach, proper shooting fundamentals, a dad can have their son/daughter hitting steel at distance in no time at all. It's quite rewarding seeing the smiles on their faces once they do it. Good for you doctorjj. I too have had many an hour of fun shooting long range with my son. Hopefully in October, he'll join me on his first antelope hunt.
Exactly. The equipment is the key. You would have a hard time with the average deer rifle hitting accurately at 1000 yds plus. It will certainly travel that far, but not accurately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom