Lookiing for a good 22LR pistol...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Mark series pistols are the only guns i collect...meaning i buy them and hold onto them for no other purpose than i like them. Classic guns for sure, if you are talking about your first .22lr pistol then there is no reason to look elsewhere. Ruger literally built there business on the success of their first .22 pistol, the Ruger Standard. You cant go wrong with any of them but like mentioned above the newest version (mk4) was modified to simplify field stripping for cleaning...something they should have done years ago. the Mark 2 and earlier guns have the magazine release on the bottom of the grip to the rear of the mag, mark 3 and newer have a push button mag release similar to a 1911. The mark 3 is also the only ones to have a "chamber loaded" indicator that pops out...never bothered me but some people don't care for it.

With everything listed above i would recommend the mark 4 over the others.

I prefer the steel framed guns, virtually no recoil and true to their predecessors. The 22/45 lite (poly frame) i had was a great shooter as well though if you would prefer that style.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was surprised that you get a MkIV for $285, even it is blued.

That is one heck of a good price for that Mark IV. Mine is the target model, all steel, virtually no recoil, easy to keep on Target, easy easy to break down and clean, a great pistol all the way around. I like the Victory too, but I love the MK IV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! Like I can afford ANYTHING that sasys "Browning" on it. :ugh2:
Holy crap, I just went and looked. The Buckmark used to be better priced than the Ruger. That's why I posted. Key term is USED TO BE.

I think I gave right at $300 for mine so it was probably $279 before tax. Now it goes for $439 to $469. :yikes2:
I had no idea they had went up like that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was surprised that you get a MkIV for $285, even it is blued.

Heck I sold my Mark II for over $300 many years ago. My current is the Mark III hunter with the fluted barrel in stainless, cocobolo grips, Majestic arms ez strip kit, trigger mods, Bushnell red dot, and a volquartsen muzzle brake.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't beat a Ruger for the price.

Dad gave me a MKII on my 17th birthday. Shot about 5 Ba-Jillion rounds thru it zero problems. Someone was selling a new MKIII upper on here a couple years ago. I bought the upper along with a MKIII bolt from ebay and turned my MKII into a new MKIII ready for another 5 Ba-Jillion rounds. They're almost indestructible.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My vote is for the Victory, but honestly it's hard to go wrong with a Buckmark or MK II-IV. Owned them all at one point. Still own the Victory and an Gemtech Oasis Ruger.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
My son has a Browning buck mark camper that is a sweet pistol for a Budget minded shooter. He paid around $325 at Academy and it is extremely accurate and has a good after market supply!

Latest posts

Top Bottom