Looking at sight pushers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one to get?

I am looking at getting a used gun that will need sight replacement, wondering what sight-pushing tool to get? I've looked at a couple, and I want to keep it in the sub-$100 range. I don't want to spend several hundred for it. It will likely only get used a couple of times.

I know I can use simple punches, but I really want to try to keep from marring the finish, and I'm not too confident of my ability to do so without a screw-type sight replacement tool. :(

Also, if using one as mentioned, how do you know you have the new sights installed "mostly" right? Just use micrometers or something to measure equal distances left-to-right?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one to get?
I've one of these: https://sightpusher.com/ It's designed for handguns but I've also used it on the front sights of a couple of rifles, just have to work out how to hold them.
Also, if using one as mentioned, how do you know you have the new sights installed "mostly" right? Just use micrometers or something to measure equal distances left-to-right?
If the one I'm replacing is "close to" right I'll put a pencil mark on its center then install the new one as close as I can to the same spot. If it's not, or I don't know, I'll usually just "eyeball" for center since I can easily come back and tweak it with the pusher a bit later if need be.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got the sitepusher linked above as well.

Setup is key on it, takes a little work to dial it in, but works great when you do.

It's collecting dust in a drawer Danny, when do you want to use it? :)

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The MGW is the best route, but a bit expensive for one use. I have a couple of the dedicated ones. The one linked above might work depending on the application. I don't recommend using them on a Shield or other guns with thin slides. Last year finally bit the bullet and invested in their "Pro" model. I just have to buy a $20 "shoe" for the firearm it is being used on.

If you get into OKC very often, we could order a shoe if I don't already have it.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161115_3f15a3535b263d10c16ff9ec129a2276.jpg

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn, didn't realize those things were so pricey. I've always figured it's gonna get a scratch our 2 on it anyway and just drifted with a nylon or alm punch I got in a Dawson sight set.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm looking at changing sights on a Sig P226 I'm buying, maybe a couple Glocks I have and some others. Shield, XD, S&W, etc. It'll be over time, really, to buy all those sights. But I will take you up on the offer when I'm ready, Steve! Thanks!

I'll still look into buying my own, probably, too, I just like to collect tools and I like to have the stuff I want or any of my friends needs if they want something done. :D

<edit> The Sig I am gonna have Cerakoted. Am I better off removing the sites for Cerakote, then putting the new ones on after it's finished? Does the tiny added thickness make an difference? If I leave the originals on, then I risk marring the finish, I think, when I change them, and if I put the new ones on first, then we have to cover them. I would THINK the PROPER way to do it would be to remove the sights before Cerakote, just not sure how much more difficult this would make it to get the new ones in.

Open to ideas for good sites for the Sig, too.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eze-lap makes a set of diamond hones that are nice to have when fitting a set of sights. I think quite a few of the sight makers produce a sights with a hard surface finish that a standard file won't touch. Also, you'll probably want to pick up some loctite.

Remove the sights before you get the slide refinished.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom