Looking for a dexter cow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having owned a Jersey milk cow I offer these observations.
Having a milk cow is an anchor chain in so much as morning and evening milking chores.
She made lots of milk, way more than we could deal with in our small kitchen, befor long spoilage was a major pain. We tried making cheese, butter, yogurt, fed pigs wheat shorts and milk, gave away gallons of milk, buttermilk, and the yogurt and milk cheese curds.
We couldn't get rid of it all fast enough. The whole house smelled like sour milk.
She was a very sweet disposition, cooperative milker, gentle and I enjoyed warmth of her while milking at 5am on cold mornings before I had to go to work.
Her calf was an ******* about everything, butted me in the head one evening and really knocked the crap out of me, plus Jersey milk is so rich you can give the calf scours very easy. By the time we got him weaned I was ready to shoot him and call him fajitas
I said the same but you did a far better job elaborating and with personal experience.. 2 thumbs up.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mini jersey's are expensive, at least heifers and cows. You can snag a bull on occasion for fair money. I gave thought to it in order to make mini milkers given the $$ they go for. But we like our bull so we cancelled that at least for now..

Latest posts

Top Bottom