Looking for a slotted tubular AR hand guard...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked around the Net for a 15" free floating hand guard, for an AR15 build, that's round in cross-section (i.e., no flats down the sides) and which is is slotted for ventilation and offers threaded holes for mounting short sections of rail. I'd like one that does not have a top rail either, but that's not a deal breaker - I just find I use none of the rail except the end for a BUIS, so most of the rail goes to waste. The best I've seen so far has been the NC-1 offered by Nordic Components:

NordicDay43471-copy.jpg

The only problem is that this HG has an inner diameter of 1.75", and an outer diameter of 2", which is rather large.

My question is: Does anyone know of a tubular and slotted 15" HG, similar to the NC-1, that has a smaller inner diameter, say around 1.5"? I know there are a few, but they all seem to have top rails, so they tend to be pricey. Do you folks know of any without the rail?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The problem is that a completely round section can't be much smaller than that and clear the gas block / gas tube. That's why the compact sections you see, such as the UTG picture below, have the "key way" above the round.

limtu019ssm_alt2.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I did see the MI offerings, but those and the ones NK posted have flattened sides. I'd like to find one that's completely round - except, of course, for the top portion that houses the gas tube and block.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That one looks to be about the same inner diameter as the NC-1. That must be the smallest that can be had in a tubular HG, I guess.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Nordic NC-1 on my rifle, and I love it! I don't find it to be too big. It is about 1/4" less in width that the Magpul I had on it.
image.jpeg

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Try the JP handguard.
I use one on my 9mm and find it quite comfortable and also slim enough for my liking. I've used the Nordic handguard in the past and thought it felt too fat.
The JP and the Troy alpha rail both suit me quite well with the width.

Attachments

• JPHG.jpg
    JPHG.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom